Trying to install FCP 6 on new machine

Posted by okcpicker 
Trying to install FCP 6 on new machine
September 09, 2011 01:56PM
My employer just purchased a new 27" iMac running OS 10.7, 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7. I only have my old version of FCS 6 to install. The error window reads, ""You can't open the application FinalCutStudio.mpkg because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

FCS 6 ran just fine on my Intel 24" iMac circa 2007. Why can't I install? Could it be that 10.7 is the culprit?

BTW, I asked for a Mac Pro but didn't get it.

Mark in Oklahoma
Re: Trying to install FCP 6 on new machine
September 09, 2011 03:24PM
> FCS 6 ran just fine on my Intel 24" iMac circa 2007.

That's a difference of four years. You can't really say something that worked two computer generations ago should work today.

And it's FCP6, not FCS6. There's no such thing as Final Cut Studio 6. Final Cut Pro 6 was part of the Final Cut Studio 2 package.

If you want to keep using your old FCP6, leave it on the old iMac. And don't do any more Software Updates on the old iMac -- not OS, not QuickTime, nothing.

Otherwise, either get Final Cut Pro 7 (Final Cut Studio 3), or move to another editing platform such as Avid, Adobe Premiere Pro, or Final Cut Pro X. Frankly, if I'm ordering an editing system now (and I just did a month ago -- a laptop), I wouldn't go for Lion. I'd insist on Snow Leopard as an OS. In my memory, it took OS10.4 Tiger about a year before it got stable enough to be trusted for use with FCP, and OS10.5 Leopard was a mess.

www.derekmok.com
September 09, 2011 03:52PM
Thanks - I meant FCP 6.

Mark
September 10, 2011 04:33PM
The FCS2 installer has a component that requires a PowerPC computer but the actual applications themselves are fully compatible with Intel processors. Support for PowerPC emulation on an Intel computer was removed in Lion. You may have some luck using Pacifist to extract them:
[www.charlessoft.com]

However, I don't know well well FCP6 will run on Lion.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 11, 2011 03:58PM
The processors alone shouldn't be that complicated. FCS 2 ran on intel machines, and it was UB. Problem could be in Lion, in which Rosetta is history, but I'm not sure if installing FCS 2 ever required a Rosetta installation.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 11, 2011 04:02PM
Yep, it did. We had similar threads when Snow Leopard came out because Rosetta was a separate optional installation. It's not the installer but an application that the installer runs to check that the serial number you entered is correct, if I remember rightly. Apple obviously forgot to compile it as a UB.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics