Pixelated Lower 3rd in timeline created with FCP Lower 3rd tool (please help)

Posted by adastra7 
Pixelated Lower 3rd in timeline created with FCP Lower 3rd tool (please help)
September 11, 2011 10:07PM
Working in Final Cut Pro 7

I am working in a timeline where I have converted to 4:3 from 3:2. This project is using both DV and mini DV footage.
(Final Cut Changed the timeline to 3:2 when I put the DV video in the timeline.)

All of my Lower 3rds are pixelated. Created these lower thirds in FCP title tool. At first I thought it was because I had cut and pasted from another timeline. But, even if I create a new lower third in this timeline, it is still pixelated. It looks great BEFORE it is rendered and then after it is rendered, bad.

While I understand the basic premise of why it is happening. I need to know how to fix it ASAP please. Thank you

Frame size: 640x480 NTSC 4:3
Pixels Aspect Ratio:NTSC-CCIR 601/(DV 720X480)

Thank you, Laurie

FCP 7
Mac OS X 10.6.7
8GB
Processor 2.2GHZ Intel Core i7
Re: Pixelated Lower 3rd in timeline created with FCP Lower 3rd tool (please help)
September 11, 2011 10:14PM
DV displays pretty poorly in the FCP Canvas,
possibly worse after rendering, if memory serves me.

are you looking at it on an external (tv) monitor?

what is your project is destined for? broadcast / web?
could be DV is not the best format to be working in as it's not great with graphics.

nick
Re: Pixelated Lower 3rd in timeline created with FCP Lower 3rd tool (please help)
September 11, 2011 10:32PM
Hi Nick,
Thank you for responding. I am just looking at it in the canvas.

This main place this project will live is on the web. It is possible they will want it for presentations though too. Not broadcast. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Usually do everything in mini-DV and have not had a problem with the text tool etc. But, this DV +mini DV project is in the last stages. Literally, all I need is the lower thirds and it's finished.

Thank you, Laurie
September 11, 2011 10:44PM
If it's destined for the web, there's even less reason to use DV. Use ProRes instead, or Uncompressed 8-bit SD.

Also, you can't watch graphics in the Canvas. Export a section as a self-contained, full-quality QuickTime movie and watch it on both an external broadcast monitor and a computer monitor.

> (Final Cut Changed the timeline to 3:2 when I put the DV video in the timeline.)

DV is supposed to be 720x480. If your timeline is 4:3, that means you have the wrong settings.

www.derekmok.com
September 11, 2011 10:55PM
Thanks Derek, So I should just switch it back to 3:2?
Another FCP user told me to switch it to 4:3 so the miniDV shots I had to use wouldn't look horrible. I am really new to FCP so...I don't want to say I am shooting in the dark here but...
September 11, 2011 10:56PM
i'd also sugest changing your sequence codec to ProRes.

as for the pixelation, if it still looks bad in an export,
check your sequence's settings.
look in the render tab, and check that everything is set to 100%

nick
September 11, 2011 11:02PM
> Another FCP user told me to switch it to 4:3 so the miniDV shots I had to use wouldn't
> look horrible.

Mini-DV should be captured at 720x480. I don't know what this other user is talking about here.

www.derekmok.com
September 11, 2011 11:08PM
if you are mixing different frame sizes, in your sequence settings, go to the Video Processing tab, and set Motion Scaling to "best"

but that shouldn't change the lower thirds.
the FCP text generators should always set themselves to the sequence dimensions

nick
September 11, 2011 11:11PM
Have you tried using Boris Title 3D? It's a vector titling tool and it's given me much better results than the default title tool, even with DV sequences.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 11, 2011 11:15PM
Well, that was totally the problem. Basically, self created nightmare with a little help from someone who said they knew.

Thanks Nick and Derek!! Cannot thank you enough!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics