Help! Quick solution for PAL --> NTSC

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
Help! Quick solution for PAL --> NTSC
September 15, 2011 11:26AM
A client had me take something off the web and do edits on it for a presentation they're doing. All done, approved, time to put it on DVD. To my surprise the frame rate was 25 (meaning PAL), though the stuff I shot and edited in was 24.

Is there a way in FCP or other tool to easily convert for NTSC DVD? Need a QUICK solution, or else I'm going to sit here and manually adjust every shot as I re-do the thing on a 24p timeline.

Oy... Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff
Re: Help! Quick solution for PAL --> NTSC
September 15, 2011 11:38AM
> A client had me take something off the web and do edits on it for a presentation they're
> doing. All done, approved, time to put it on DVD. To my surprise the frame rate was
> 25 (meaning PAL), though the stuff I shot and edited in was 24.

?
If you shot and edited this piece, why did you have to take it off the web?
The frame rate of the piece is determined by the timeline. You didn't notice the timeline was set to 25fps? Or that the clips were 25fps? Did you just click "OK" when FCP asks you whether to conform the Sequence to the first clip inserted? That is a very bad habit to get into -- results in situations like this where you edited the whole thing and avoided rendering...but were blissfully unaware of exactly what your Sequence Settings were.

www.derekmok.com
September 15, 2011 11:41AM
Thank you, Derek. I didn't shoot this thing, just a bunch of inserts for it. You are right, when I downloaded I just dropped it into the timeline and clicked ok, and watched. Then I shot and added what was needed, got client okay, went to output to DVD -- yikes!

So I take it by your response that you don't have anything helpful to suggest in the present situation?
September 15, 2011 11:59AM
quickest approach:
export your 25fps timeline,
open the file in CinemaTools,
conform to 23.98
make your DVD

you haven't noticed any jumpy motion? like a repeated frame every second?
that'll get burnt into the DVD with the method i suggested.

best results would mean the most work:
copy paste into a 24 timeline,
tweak all your cuts

and conform the web material to 24 as well,
and re-dit that into the timeline.
(maybe export a guide if you are going to do this)

nick
September 15, 2011 12:11PM
> when I downloaded I just dropped it into the timeline and clicked ok, and watched. Then I
> shot and added what was needed, got client okay

That means you have a mix of materials. Try Nick's methods -- but make sure you watch the results on a broadcast monitor. I'd also burn a test DVD -- possibly two separate movie files produced with the two different methods -- and watch on a DVD player with a TV set. You and your client didn't notice anything objectionable throughout the post process. That means either it does look okay, or you were all just watching on a computer monitor and didn't see what it'd be like on a DVD.

www.derekmok.com
September 15, 2011 12:29PM
Thank you, guys. Trying Nick's suggestions now.
September 15, 2011 12:43PM
Nick, genius. Thank you! Method #1 works great for this, which is going to be projected on powerpoint, looks great on computer and TV. Thanks for the help, guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics