7D Transcoding question

Posted by TroyChristian 
7D Transcoding question
September 20, 2011 12:51PM
Hey all-

So, in prepping to edit I have taken my 7D footage and used Compressor to transcode to ProRes 422 HQ (as I am aiming for the highest quality and can afford the space). I did a test though, out of curiosity. I brought a file into FCP Log and Transfer and added to cue. The result from an image standpoint was MUCH better. The Compressor version and a lot of red to the image and was a little "blotchy" color-wise.

The original file size is 226.2MB
Compressor Pro Res HQ 858.7MB
Log and Transfer 878.3MB

The Log and Transfer matches the MVI file exactly (image wise).

Is the L & T version a useable option? Why is ProRes HQ not holding up?
Re: 7D Transcoding question
September 20, 2011 01:10PM
> Is the L & T version a useable option?

I consider it a better option. The problem with Compressor isn't image quality. It's that Compressor has 50,000 different visual options that you have to set yourself. Compressor wasn't designed to retain original camera settings such as frame rates, frame size, field order etc. Compressor was designed to give you control over those parameters, regardless of what the original media is. Compressor wouldn't warn you if its preset is about to change your 23.98fps footage to 29.97fps. Log and Transfer, by contrast, imports the clips the way they were shot.

My bet is that you have some settings in your Compressor presets that weren't set correctly.

In addition, Log and Transfer applies time-of-day timecode to the clips, giving you something much more useful than 00:00:00:00. And it also makes a batch list and applies metadata to converted clips so that you can rename your shot from "MVI_0001" to "Scene 01 Shot 01 Take 01", yet still be able to re-transfer the clip from the original camera media later, without losing media connection to whatever edits you make.

www.derekmok.com
September 20, 2011 01:18PM
Thanks Derek! Great info! I'll choose L&T!!
September 20, 2011 01:47PM
Mostly what Derek said. Especially ToD via internal camera clock.

>Compressor wouldn't warn you if its preset is about to change your 23.98fps footage to 29.97fps.

Use "current frame rate" for frame rate.

It's pros and cons. In Compressor you can simultaneously transcode multiple clips at the same time using each of your processor cores. This speeds up the transcoding. L&T doesn't do that. On the other hand, L&T adds ToD information into the QT track. Also, it uses clip IDs to let you link back to the source camera files if you ever need to re-transcode, so you can rename your clips for organizational sanity and be able to batch capture further down the line.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 20, 2011 01:55PM
Hey Derek,

I checked the Compressor settings. It is the stock ProRes 422 HQ settings. They only thing that I see that is not checked that could make it better image-wise is the frame controls. The title on the setting reads "settings based off the source media and frame rate". I assumed it would be an obvious preset - HQ, based off etc. A little misleading I'd say.
September 20, 2011 03:10PM
Hi Derek,

How does MPEGStreamclip stand up beside LOG & TRANSFER? Have you done any comparative tests, I wonder? I recall that a couple of months ago you posted that your tests revealed that Compressor did a much better job of transcoding than MPEGStreamclip.

I have loads of stuff to transcode from HDV and H.264 (all 1080p/24). I'd appreciate your opinion.

Best

Harry.
September 20, 2011 03:28PM
I don't like MPEG Streamclip for any job earlier in the post process than final web delivery. Every time I've tried MPEG Streamclip to prep media for editing, I get a wide variety of bugs. Jude Cotter has had more success with it, but without my own hands-on experience to support alternate viewpoints, I'm steering away from it for this purpose.

www.derekmok.com
September 20, 2011 04:41PM
IMO, Mpeg Streamclip gives you pretty much the same advantages as Compressor as a general purpose transcoder, except that Compressor has better tools (resizing, retiming, etc..) and more options. Mpeg Streamclip on the other hand, is able to demux DVDs as well as decode Mpeg2 to Quicktime.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 20, 2011 06:47PM
I believe that MPEG Streamclip is MUCH faster than Compressor- at least when I have personally compared it with Compressor. Harry323 - I believe your are talking about when I converted from PAL to 23.98 on a job recently. Compressor wouldn't even budge on it and MPEG Streamclip busted it out relatively quickly and with better image results in a side by side one clip test. The footage was PAL XDCam if I recall correctly.

Today though, as I am checking the L & T against the Pro Res 422HQ that my computer has worked on for the last few days, I am a fan of L & T in this current scenario.
September 20, 2011 07:12PM
I have seen that blotchy red problem using Mpeg streamclip before. It seems to be a bit random as to when it occurs.

September 21, 2011 01:41PM
I'm surprised that mpeg streamclip does retiming at all. What settings are you using in Compressor? The frame controls tab in compressor provides quality control (and sets the algorithm) on resizing and retiming.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 28, 2011 11:18AM
Magic Bullet Grinder is also very good for converting your 7D or 5D mkII files

Derek
September 28, 2011 05:37PM
In Compressor I used the Apple Pro Res 422 HQ pre set which states that it bases the compression on the original file settings and resolution. I didn't touch the frame controls.

For the conversion from PAL to 23.98 I DID use frame controls - best, better, etc. and that was the scenario where the task bar in Compressor didn't even budge for 2 days.

I'll have to check on the Magic Bullet. But this week L&T is working quite effectively for me...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics