Any cure for RGB moving horizontal lines when 30" Cinema Display is hooked to 17" MBP w Thunderbolt (dual link adaptor)?????

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
The good news is Y'all haven't heard from me in ages bc everything has been going so well - up until now!

I just got out to LA where I will be working from home for a couple of months.

I have a new 17" MBP, all tricked out, and an old 30" Apple Cinema Display which I love. It's not just the size, I adore the matte screen and can't abide the shiny screens on the new displays...

I am so frustrated though - I got the dual link (TB+USB) adaptor and hooked everything up and I am getting nasty horizontal lines, in either red, blue, or green (fancy that), through my Viewer and Canvas windows, and also in any quicktime player window, especially visible in the blacks.

Is there some calibration that can happen? Is hit the video card, the adaptor, or just a tragic pairing? I will be very sad to have to go back to my 4 year old 15" MBP just to see all my windows open at once on my 30" monitor...

Knowledge and experience appreciated,

Thanks,

Marla

Oops I had an old signature earlier with way out of date machine/system specs on it. Current specs are:

FCP Studio
MBP 17" - running OSX 10.6.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.70f3
Marla said:
and an old 30" Apple Cinema Display which I love.

I have the same machine and it is the fastest machine I have ever owned (Do you have the SSD? MUST HAVE!!). You may want to contact Apple or the adapter manufacturer about this. Might be some kind of driver for that adapter.

I personally would not bet my new kit on an old monitor I was in love with. The machine is the thing so I build my kit from the machine out. I too have always been a "matte screen" guy...with the new MBP (17" i7 with the matte screen)...but for my desktop monitor, I went for the new Apple 27" Thunderbolt LED over my old ones and boy what a great decision that was. The "shininess" or reflectivity of it does not bother me at all. No only is it gorgeous and works flawlessly with the MBP (it was made for the laptop config IMHO), but the TB / USB cable has a MagSafe power plug on it so when I come home, I plug my MBP up to it and it charges the laptop without me taking the charger out of my backpack. Totally rocks.

To go back to an older slower machine just to work with a favorite monitor?? ...that's just crazy talk.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Hey Joey!

No I didn't mean that as any sort of a long term solution, it's just I'm on a mad deadline and need to keep working for some days until I will have time to deal. And yes I have the Solid State - and yes, it does rock the casbah!

But I will mourn my 30" monitor big-time if this is unresolvable. I usually work with two of them, and with 10+ cameras they get filled up fast... And the reflective surface does really bother me, guess I'll need to darken tto room or something.

Back in the NY office I work on a tower that's connected to our shared Xsan via fiber, so editing on the MBP is my away from the office solution only. I do love it, but need a lot more surface area...

Hope things are well with you - thanks for writing back,

MM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics