A whole lotta sharpening going on

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
A whole lotta sharpening going on
October 21, 2011 01:45PM
I'm wondering something here...it seems in the past couple years, especially with the popularity of larger HDTVs to the general public, many newer TV shows have seemingly been going to a much sharper look.

What I'm wondering is if this observation is correct, or if this is a natural result of higher quality cameras/lenses.

If there is more sharpening being done in post, I would be interested in learning how to do this...which filters, techniques, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Casey
Re: A whole lotta sharpening going on
October 21, 2011 02:10PM
It's cranked up detail and contrast

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2011 02:15PM
Is that mostly in-camera or done in post?
October 21, 2011 02:47PM
> What I'm wondering is if this observation is correct, or if this is a natural result of higher
> quality cameras/lenses.

I'm thinking it's more the result of both style (choices in colour correction -- contrast and saturation, especially) and format (HD vs. film). While not all shows are shot on HD, I think HD mastering and HD television sets have made people jittery about anything that's not quite sharp, so they crank the contrast to exaggerate the sharpness of the edges.

Style-wise, I think feature films started it; TV picked up on that style. At its extreme, that contrast-y look is associated with Latin American cinema (Amores Perros, 21 Grams) and commercials. A more naturalistic, photographic style is becoming more rare. Most shows and films these days go for that hyper-manipulated (in stills it would be called "Photoshopped" ) look. Christopher Nolan is one director who insists on natural, clean looks; he's a big fan of Terrence Malick.

www.derekmok.com
October 24, 2011 09:53AM
Very interesting.

Along these same lines, is it common to do, at the very least, just a little bit of sharpening across the boards (generally speaking) on footage you're working with?

Thanks!
Casey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics