MTS file help needed

Posted by Steve Douglas 
MTS file help needed
October 24, 2011 07:38PM
An associate shot some footage with a small Sony AVCHD cam and a JVC 3D camcorder set to shoot in 2D. Both were shot to each cams own hard drive rather than an SSD card. I attached both cams, one at a time, and got the cams to mount on my MacBook Pro. Searching through what came up left me with a folder of MTS files that would not open either in QT or Mpeg Streamclip.
Any suggestions for me other than to go back and reshoot with my own gear?
Thanks,
Steve

ps. I found it odd that his manual for the JVC had instructions for working with a PC but not a Mac.

steve-sharksdelight
Re: MTS file help needed
October 24, 2011 07:55PM
You're approaching it wrong. First of all, don't import directly from the camera -- copy the contents over to a drive first. (You don't want to mess with having FCP work while the original camera is attached and vulnerable -- that's playing with fire.) Second, MPEG Streamclip isn't the tool for MTS conversion and nor is QuickTime Player. FCP has its own AVCHD plugin (in some cases, a brand-specific plugin, though the Canon AVCHD camera I use doesn't need it) which allows Log and Transfer to mount a volume and batch convert. This is contingent upon the complete file system (empty folders, small miscellaneous files, everything) being intact. Voltaic and ClipWrap are the other choices to convert the MTS files.

www.derekmok.com
October 25, 2011 12:25AM
Thanks Derek, I wasn't trying to import to FCP but simply to open what I saw on the desktop and then bring them onto an external drive . Never the less, I was surprised that MPEG Streamclip wouldn't open them, I always thought it was a miracle app. Will try Clipwrap.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 25, 2011 12:32AM
> I wasn't trying to import to FCP but simply to open what I saw on the desktop and then bring them onto an external drive.

You don't need to open them. Just open the volume that mounts, drag and drop. I always advise the principle of "Don't mess with something until it's backed up." All it takes is one power surge or kicked-out cable to risk damaging the files at the camera level...and that would be irreparable. Just the act of opening a file with software can modify it.

www.derekmok.com
October 25, 2011 12:37AM
Will do, and thanks again Derek.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 29, 2011 10:43AM
Steve send me the files. I working on a new product that may open them and transfer them to MOV files by re-wrapping the H.264 video.
October 29, 2011 11:26AM
Hey Brad and Derek,
Thanks for all your input, advice and offers to help. Installed ClipWrap which had some difficulties and sent a file over to them at their request. They sent me an updated ClipWrap 2.4.4b that worked just fine. Not sure if this version has even been released but ClipWrap did the job. Have to admit, I was surprised that MPEG Streamclip would not work with the MTS files but I guess no app will do everything.
Again, much appreciation here.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
November 02, 2011 10:21AM
I've got one in the works Steve, shoot me an email.
November 02, 2011 11:10AM
Sent you a PM
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
November 04, 2011 10:46PM
Just dealt with the same problem. I brought the MTS files into Premier and exported them as ProRes and then brought them into FCP.
Took a bit longer but it worked.

Haven't used Premier yet so I don't really know my way around like I do in FCP. (Well not yet anyways.) ClipWrap may be faster but I had a problem using the trial version. It produced a video that I could bring into FCP however it was very jittery like it was dropping frames. Didn't want to purchase incase the full version did the same thing. That is why I decided to use PP. Not to mention I just paid for the software, gave me a chance to use it!

J
November 05, 2011 11:32AM
Got ClipWrap and it worked out beautifully...no generational loss and smooth playback. Problem solved and thanks for everyone's advice.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics