Get "Not enough space" when I try to render, no matter what

Posted by radam04 
Get "Not enough space" when I try to render, no matter what
November 01, 2011 11:40AM
Whenever I try to render something in my FCP ver. 6.0.6, even as small as a 20 second clip with no effects, I get the "Insufficient disk space-- free up space with Render Manager and retry?" box. But, the Render Manager doesn't even have more than a couple hundred MB in it. And when I try to get rid of that small amount, it won't. It just keeps saying there's insufficient space and won't render.

My scratch disks are all set to my external harddrive, which has like 200 GB of space on it, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I really can't think of what I've done to cause this, since it worked fine before and I haven't done anything different than normal. If you have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.
Re: Get "Not enough space" when I try to render, no matter what
November 01, 2011 12:00PM
Are you sure your Scratch Disk setting didn't change without you knowing?

There are bugs that prevent rendering and give you the wrong reason. But you'd usually get "Out of memory"; in my own experience, "insufficient disk space" usually means just that.

Copy the contents of the timeline to a brand-new, blank project file. Save that, check your Scratch Disk settings, and render. See if it works. If it does work, then you have a bug in your old project file.

If it doesn't work, set the Scratch Disk to render to your internal system drive.

Also check your System Settings to make sure you don't have "Minimum Allowable Free Space" set too high.

If even a new Scratch Disk location doesn't work, then chances are you have media in your timeline that's causing bugs. Eliminate the clips by separating the clips (including audio and graphics) out into groups and rendering piece by piece, to narrow down which clip(s) might be causing the issue.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Get "Not enough space" when I try to render, no matter what
November 01, 2011 01:48PM
Great, thanks for the suggestions. I created a brand new project file and brought the clips into that, and it seems to be working fine now. Fingers crossed, thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics