System or possibly QT version problem.

Posted by harry323 
System or possibly QT version problem.
November 02, 2011 08:46PM
Hi there,

You see before you a pathetic wreck. This is my problem:

I have two boot disks - one Snow Leopard and the other is Old Leopard.

I'm running FCP 6.0.6 and OS 10.5.8.

Normally I run Snow Leopard, but suddenly I have a problem with HDV files which were created on a Canon XLH1 recording to a Firestore FS-C camera hard drive.

Under Snow Leopard my project file (HDV) opened fine. I've been working on this forever. But I must have done something dopey because suddenly I can't get these HDV/Firestore files to open in FCP.

HDV files which were NOT created on the Firestore drive open fine.

I think it's some System weirdness because I also used to be able to view them in Quicktime Player and also by highlighting the file and hitting the space bar. Not so now.

HOWEVER - These files open just fine under OLD LEOPARD. FCP pulls in the files ok and I can see them in Quicktime player and preview them by hitting the space bar.

But I really need to run FCP and my life in general using Snow Leopard. So I'm in trouble.

I have erased my startup drive and installed a new SNOW LEOPARD system from the original disks, done all the updates and so forth. I also replaced the Pro Apps with version 5.1 which has always worked for me.

I reinstalled FCP too - did the updates to 6.0.6.

So I've been a good boy and I can't think of anything else to do.

In short - OLD LEOPARD works fine, SNOW LEOPARD doesn't.

I am guessing that, since I can't get those particular files to open in QT Player Snow Leopard, but I CAN get them to play in OLD Leopard QT Player, that this is a question of not having the correct codecs installed.

In OLD LEOPARD I find that the QT Player calls itself "Quicktime Player Pro v. 7.6.9.

In SNOW LEOPARD the QT Player calls itself simply "Quicktime Player v.10.0" No mention of "Pro".

So I tried moving QT v. 7.6.9. onto my freshly minted Snow Leopard disk. No dice. When I attempt to open one of these files it tells me "An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie".

Huh?

I have now tried everything I know.

Other ideas gratefully received.

Best, and in misery,

Harry.
Re: System or possibly QT version problem.
November 03, 2011 01:35AM
Harry-

Most folks are not using QuickTime Player X precisely because it isn't pro. It's a toy. X is like a hermetically sealed product with badly thought out ergonomics and behaviors. Some day it will be nice.

I have a boot layout similar to yours. Even in 10.6.8, I still use QT 7.6.6- without issues.

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
November 03, 2011 09:06AM
Just COMMAND-I any MPEG, MP4 or QuickTime movie and set the Default Application to QuickTime 7 instead. You'll never have to see QuickTime X's ugly mug again. It's been out two or three years and it's been the most useless thing Apple's ever released.

It's not likely to be cause of the problems, though. It's more likely the OS.

www.derekmok.com
DM
November 03, 2011 02:22PM
but don't upgrade to QT 7.7. There's trouble there
November 04, 2011 04:51PM
Thank you all for your help. I finally solved the problem by reinstalling Snow Leopard 10.6.8, FCP 6.0.5, Quicktime 7.6.6. and ProKit 5.1.

Phew!

They don't make it easy, do they?

Again, my sincere thanks for your encouraging posts. It took me two full days of experiment but I got there in the end.

Best

Harry.
November 04, 2011 11:02PM
[but don't upgrade to QT 7.7. There's trouble there]

Good to know. Like what?

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
DM
November 04, 2011 11:41PM
read my post in a later thread about Focus Enhancements DTE products
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics