General Error message during playback in FCP 6.0.6

Posted by Ryan Rundle 
General Error message during playback in FCP 6.0.6
November 11, 2011 04:49PM
I'm running FCP 6.0.6 on a mac book pro version 10.5.8 and experiencing some issues during playback. I have been editing an independent film with both HD and SD footage for a few months and never once had a problem, until now. After stepping away from the project for about a month, I opened it up:

At first, everything seems copacetic, although it takes longer than usual to "prepare video for display." During playback in the timeline, I get a "General Error" message. The clips in the sequence will not render either. Eventually, the program just gets slower and slower until it crashes. I've tried adjusting my playback settings, trashing my preferences, reconnecting offline render files, trashing my render files and re-rendering the sequence, copy and pasting the clips to a new sequence, copy and pasting the sequence to a new project, everything I can think of but nothing has helped. Disk utility tells me my hardware is fine. Everything in the project file appears intact. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ryan Rundle
Re: General Error message during playback in FCP 6.0.6
November 11, 2011 05:01PM
Try running DiskWarrior on the storage drive. Disk Utility is pretty inept at finding drive problems.

www.derekmok.com
November 11, 2011 05:35PM
Okay I'll give that a try. Does it sound like a hardware issue?
November 12, 2011 01:37AM
From Crash Analyzer:

General Error (Final Cut Pro)

This error can have multiple causes but a common cause is unsupported media (e.g. CMYK images).

Suggested Actions
* If your sequence codec is set to a long-GOP codec such as HDV, H.264, XDCAM, AVCHD, MPEG-2, set it to ProRes.
* For best results, convert long-GOP and non-QuickTime media such as AVI or WMV to ProRes.
* Make sure all images are RGB.
* Ensure image dimensions do not exceed 4000 pixels in width or height.
* Ensure there is at least 20% space remaining on your media drive.
* Go to Tools > Render Manager and remove render files.
* Use Preference Manager to trash preferences.
* Check permissions on your scratch disk. If it is an external drive, "Ignore ownership on this volume" should be set in the Get Info dialog.

Report generated by Crash Analyzer in Pro Maintenance Tools

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
November 12, 2011 01:58AM
There's recently been a bunch of posts about HDV files - in particular Firestore.

H
November 12, 2011 05:47PM
All media and sequences are ProRes. All images are RGB. All my settings seem to be correct. Tried removing the files in render manager. No effect.
November 12, 2011 05:52PM
Switch render setting in sequence settings to 8 bit YUV. It's usually the images. FCP doesn't like scaling images.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 13, 2011 02:22PM
Tried switching to 8 bit YUV. No effect
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics