Speed changes and motion blur

Posted by TroyChristian 
Speed changes and motion blur
November 15, 2011 04:49PM
I have been doing a lot of research on super slow mo (overcranking) using my 7D. Seems like Twixtor is a viable (although expensive) option. Anybody want to chime in on successes and/or failures with it? Or other ways to acheive the same effect (1000fps ish)?

Also- is there a way to avoid motion blur when speeding footage up to say 400%??

Thanks!
Re: Speed changes and motion blur
November 15, 2011 05:08PM
There is a way to do it using Motion, but Twixtor does a better job. Make sure your backgrounds are not complex. The simpler the better, to reduce the 'warping' effect.

Here's a tutorial for doing it via Motion : [fcp.co]

November 15, 2011 05:18PM
Thanks Jude!
What is the filter in Motion?
My BG is stationary. It is the performers who are in motion. Got things here- dancers in super slow mo on one project and circus performers in fast mo on another. I think I have my head wrapped around the slow mo. I am guessing that the Motion filter could handle the fast too?
November 15, 2011 06:09PM
The Motion section is just changing the speed to 15% under Inspector > Properties > Timing. I use Optical Flow for the blending.

There's probably a better tutorial out there somewhere, but the premise is the same. Shoot at 60 (59.94) or 50 for PAL, retime to 15% in Motion, Export, conform to 23.98 (or 25 PAL) then import to FCP.

November 15, 2011 06:14PM
I've seen some good results using FCP X... ducking for cover
November 15, 2011 06:50PM
haha Russ ...

The Set Speed behavior looks markedly better than the old Command J in FCP.

I'll try that work flow Jude - and thanks!
November 15, 2011 11:27PM
Yeah...I don't know about FCPX (throwing furniture at Russ) as have not touched it yet - I hear it BUUUURRRRRNS. I tried that Motion bit. Lousy warpy distorted results.

Twixtor is the best out there for this. Have you seen the online test clips with skate boarders & BMX riders??? Incredible. Cost wise, it depends how important the shot is to your production. $565 is a pittance compared to how much it would cost to reshoot with a high speed camera. And I wouldn't use it in FCP...After Effects has a much better renderer and you can round trip to Premiere right from the timeline:

[www.toolfarm.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 16, 2011 02:20AM
I have seen them Joe - they look great. Certainly any of these options is better than the speed control in FCP. My problem with Twixtor at $595 is that I just bough two AVID MC dongle/licenses and am in between where I am going to land toolkit wise. So the purchase might not be the best investment at this point. I however, look forward to experiencing the good results first hand.

The Motion option surely isn't perfect but it is an improvement from FCP. I am thrilled today however, to be learning some cool new lessons after 11 years on FCP - thank you all!

btw - Russ - DUUUUCK!!!
November 16, 2011 02:51AM
In Avid, that Motion workflow is built into Avid. Launch the speed change tool, promote the effect to timewarp and switch to optical flow.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 16, 2011 03:39AM
I am finding the "optical flow" option to add warping and "none" to be cleaner ...
November 16, 2011 06:42AM
Hah hah, you guys are funny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics