FCP on a new mac mini...?

Posted by wayne granzin 
FCP on a new mac mini...?
November 28, 2011 08:44PM
im trying to rig up an utra-portable (almost "wearable"winking smiley ) field editing solution.

anyone done any FCPing on the newest mac mini?
Re: FCP on a new mac mini...?
November 28, 2011 09:39PM
I'd assume it would work. Meets minimum requirements. Not great if you're working with RED. But how do you plan to carry the monitor? Strapped to the chest? I assume you'll have a trackball strapped to your thighs too? Post a pic when you got your kit going... Btw, why not laptops?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 28, 2011 09:40PM
Sorry. Got carried away...

www.strypesinpost.com
November 28, 2011 10:13PM
ha. i guess the keyword was ALMOST wearable.

my logic was a magic trackpad and my 9" smallhd dp1

i guess i should just take a hard drive to an apple store and see ; )
November 28, 2011 11:22PM
It does work, and does fine with small stuff. Obviously offline and not HD kind of cutting - it gets bogged down with too much complexity.

November 29, 2011 07:32AM
Depending on which one you get, it's essentially the same computer as the iMac and even the MacBook Pro so they're fine to cut projects. Your connectivity to external RAIDs is somewhat limited unless you go thunderbolt, but as far as cutting in FCP, should be no problem at all except maybe the high end stuff from RED and Alexa.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
November 29, 2011 01:34PM
mac mini .... yeah that will work but it is not as portable as a 15" MBP. Once you get into peripherals the mini is in the same ball park as the used MBP. Including you dp1 you would have maybe 3 pieces to carry.
All would fit into a well designed laptop bag that you could wear like a 1985 gucci link necklace with a Mercedes medallion. Maybe 25lbs tops.

We used this type of set up in Manilla last year. We had to hike a lot with it along with 4mbp batteries, 2 hmcs and 2 cheapo tripod/monopods. It all fit nicely within a backpack. I am unsure if the mac mini is as sturdy for travel as the MBP.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics