Who uses online back up?

Posted by J.Corbett 
Who uses online back up?
December 01, 2011 11:01AM
I have been trying to use Crash Plan to back up 2 drives that run jobd. This service is extra slow but i know that people use this as a fall back. Currently, crash plan is saying that it will take 76days to back-up 467gigs (its my main drive or applications drive)
I backed up my laptop with this same service, but it did not take as long (322gigs).

so....

what is the best online/cloud back up for video editors?

is online back-up even relevant to video editing?

Is .mac any faster?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Who uses online back up?
December 05, 2011 11:05AM
i have yet to hear of a consumer level online backup system that is fast or large enough to back up pro video projects. those services are more suited for "joe household" situations.
unless you have enterprise-level net service. id say that online backup is a non-starter for you.

redundant local back ups are the most reasonable method. be that multiple hard drives or something like an LTO tape system. neither of which is impervious to some degree of failure...
December 06, 2011 05:26AM
Hi J.Corbett

At Vembu, we offer Simple, Secure and Reliable based Onsite, Offsite and Cloud based Backup through our trusted MSP and VAR partners worldwide.

Feel free to visit our website and sign-up for full featured trial.

[storegrid.vembu.com]
[storegrid.vembu.com]

To backup 467 gigs Vembu StoreGrid it will take 20-24 hrs. No specific method for video editors, we can backup the video editors files.

Ambika
[www.vembu.com]
December 06, 2011 07:45AM
"to backup 467 gigs Vembu StoreGrid it will take 20-24 hrs"

Ambika, thats based on what type and speed of net connection?
December 06, 2011 09:02AM
Yea, I'm skeptical about online backups, unless I am running a fibre connection to the host. I'm not saying it can't be done, but what is the cost per gig we are talking about?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 07, 2011 05:53AM
to backup 467 gigs Vembu StoreGrid it will take 20-24 hrs"

Ambika, thats based on what type and speed of net connection?

>>>In local network it will take 20-24 hrs to backup 467 gigs. Depending upon the gigs the backup will take.

I would be glad enough to help you with any questions you might have on the product. You can contact me at ambika@vembu.com

Regards,
Ambika
[vembu.com]
December 07, 2011 02:33PM
A problem is that most "internet" is ADSL, which means fast
downloads but slow uploads.
Until a pure Synchronous DSL is offered, the "Cloud" does not
offer much benefit.

Ambika Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> to backup 467 gigs Vembu StoreGrid it will take
> 20-24 hrs"
>
> Ambika, thats based on what type and speed of net
> connection?
>
> >>>In local network it will take 20-24 hrs to
> backup 467 gigs. Depending upon the gigs the
> backup will take.
>
> I would be glad enough to help you with any
> questions you might have on the product. You can
> contact me at ambika@vembu.com
>
> Regards,
> Ambika
> [vembu.com]
December 09, 2011 07:42AM
Hi Mark,

Yes, the upload speed will be a bottle neck not only for cloud backups but even for backup to offsite remote servers. Backup is worth when it is redundantly stored outside your location ie., to some other server in different geographic location. So your backup will relay on your Internet and of course, your backup speed depends upon the upload speed of your network.StoreGrid will use the available bandwidth to upload the data to cloud or any remote server (though you can throttle bandwidth usage during your peak working hours). You can even set the CPU Utilization to high (default) to finish your backups faster.If you are backing up large backup data over the Internet, then you can make use of the StoreGrid's bandwidth optimizer feature 'Seed backup Migration'. Using this feature, the initial seed backup can be taken in a local external drive connected to the client machine and the external drive can then be physically moved to the remote backup server's environment to migrate the data into the backup server. Once the initial full backup is seeded in the server, then you can continue further incremental backups (changed bytes since the last full backup) through Internet. Thus, speeding up your whole backup process to your remote server.To know more about seed migration feature, please refer the following URL, [storegrid.vembu.com] me know if you have any clarification.

Regards,
Ambika
vembu.com
December 15, 2011 04:11AM
I average about 22mbps down but only 2 - 2.3mbps up. The up is my problem.

I was exploring this option because my stored drives are taking over the storage area. I have 2 climate controlled cabinets (3ft tall 2ft wide w/ 6 shelves) and as soon as i store another 4 drives It will be time to build another cabinet which may not fit. the way i would like. I may not be storing very efficiently as i use 1-1tb drive to hold 2-3 clients media even if it doesn't fill the drive.
I try to hold on to all of my footage even the unused portions for nostalgia and the fact that i hold footage for every client for about 24 months and then forget it.

maybe i just need to learn to let it go. I just feel someday it will tell a good story.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics