Capturing in FCP for edit in Premiere on a PC

Posted by trphoto 
Capturing in FCP for edit in Premiere on a PC
December 02, 2011 01:52PM
I am capturing HDV footage from a Canon XL1 in FCP on my Mac. I need to send the selected shots to an editor that uses a PC with Adobe Premiere. We are having a difficult time finding a smooth workflow between us. What is the best codec to use when capturing in FCP so that the editor has the least amount of problems importing into Premiere on a PC? Thanks!
Re: Capturing in FCP for edit in Premiere on a PC
December 02, 2011 02:36PM
Capture as Prores. He can decode it if he has Quicktime installed. Problem with Premiere and the PC platform and all the cutting that everybody seems to do on it, is that I have no idea how anyone delivers anything at all, as there is no good mastering codec.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 05, 2011 02:06PM
You can use ProRes as a mastering on the Mac. A lot of our users use Cineform.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
December 05, 2011 02:11PM
I use ProRes all the time on the Mac. But when I send to my PC/Premiere friends, they can not use it. So, what do I need to capture or transcode to to work on the PC/w/Premiere? Thanks!
December 05, 2011 02:18PM
Get them to install QT 7. It comes with the decoder for ProRes, so they can read the file.

I dunno. Cineform is 100 Mb/s last I checked. If it is DCT based compression, most of the higher quality mastering formats are around 200Mb/s. Eg. ProRes HQ, DNxHD, HDCAM SR Lite, etc.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 06, 2011 01:03PM
Any PC editor with Premeire worth his salt should have the QT 7 with ProRes support.
What Apple needs to do if (gasp) open up the codec to read/write on a PC as well.

trphoto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use ProRes all the time on the Mac. But when I
> send to my PC/Premiere friends, they can not use
> it. So, what do I need to capture or transcode to
> to work on the PC/w/Premiere? Thanks!
December 10, 2011 02:01AM
I was interviewing for a film that was shot on 16mm, and they are getting their telecine done for free. They told me that it was being done in Standard def to ProRes. I'm not sure if can do the show, and if I did I'm not certain I would cut in fcp, I might make this my first avid show.

Still it seemed to me that since it has to be telecinied in standard def the appropriate codec was dv50. Principly because it is more system agnostic. Am I wrong?

Ethan@advantagevideosystems.com

[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[ethan-editor.blogspot.com] (My Reel)

GOING TO NAB2018? USE OUR FREE CODE:LV8875
And visit our booth in South Lower Hall @ SL14916
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics