Multicam Help

Posted by Jeff C 
Multicam Help
December 08, 2011 02:01PM
Hey everyone, Running into a small problem with Multicam editing.

Mac Pro Dual 2 2.4 Quad core
FCP 7.0.2
8 GB Ram
all footage is ProRes 422 HQ 1280 x 720, 23.98
Footage lives on external 4TB G Tech Drive connected via sata cable

Problem is that when I am playing back a multicam clip from the sequence I can no longer see both camera angles (A and B cam) in the viewer window. I only see one camera playing back as if I was just looking at A cam only. However when the playhead is paused or stopped then both camera angles appear on screen like business as usual.

YES I do have the sequence set to "open". I have refreshed all A/B Devices and confirmed that All Frames are turned on. I have trashed preferences and repaired permissions. Still nothing has changed. I have been cutting with multicam for 3 weeks without a single problem until now. Really can't afford to have the multicam not working properly at this point of the project. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Jeff
Re: Multicam Help
December 08, 2011 02:06PM
Is the sequence rendered? If it is you won't see the angles.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 08, 2011 02:14PM
1. thank you for responding so fast!!!!

2. no it isn't rendered. good thinking on your part though.

I just literally tried something and it seems to "refresh the multicam" just like refreshing a/v devices. I went into the sequence and collapsed the multicam clips then uncollapsed them. This is now allowing me to play back and see both angles. It got "stuck" a couple of times but I repeated that process and seems to refresh the timeline to allow me to see both cameras.

very weird but it works. still would love to know what is causing that. very odd behavior.

j
December 08, 2011 02:16PM
There are so many little toggles and switches that have to be in place for multicam to work and the UI is terrible for making toggle states clear.

Here's hoping that the FCPX multicam is not as buggy as FCP7.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 08, 2011 02:24PM
True, I learned to map "open sequence" to a shortcut to make that part a little faster. I am also hoping that it is good on avid. still have yet to dive into that program.
December 08, 2011 02:57PM
I learned multicam on an AVID. Don't know how much multicam performance is tied to their hardware these days but it was a great system. They didn't have that collapse/uncollapse function, specifically the UNcollapse but, like a lot of AVID stuff the media management was rock solid.
The ability to customize the colour of the workspaces is useful if say, for instance, you have a producer who can't tell the difference between the recorded 9way split and the AVID playback of the 9 multicams, so you train them to recognize the background colours to know whether they should be snapping their fingers and calling out cameras like a trained media soaked monkey or looking at all the shots for something need to fill a hole somewhere else.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 08, 2011 03:33PM
HAHAHAHA!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics