15 HD CAMS Concert

Posted by Rui Barros 
15 HD CAMS Concert
December 10, 2011 07:44AM
Hi,

I've just finished the editing of a Concert recorded with 15 HD Cams on FCP 7.
The editing process was easy, the director understode the workflow without any problems, FCP 7 only crashed twice during this week and the results are perfect.
Briefly, what a working tool.

The next step is to send the sequence to Color for grading.

The porpuse of this topic is not to describe what i did but to try to understand the mental diarrhea that Apple decide to had by killing the FCS and replacing with the X!!!???

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
Re: 15 HD CAMS Concert
December 10, 2011 09:53AM
I don't know about sending a multicam sequence to Color, as I had problems with that. But I hear you. I've been working on multicam reality shows for the last few months in FCP, as one of the reasons for not moving to Avid is that it is harder to get Avid editors than to get FCP ones over here. Premiere would have been the good other choice, but I'm not too sure how robust Premiere is with long form multicam offline/online editorial. Frankly, I hate spending this much time on a software that is already dead and I have told producers that I an looking for Avid jobs. I prefer FCP's clip based editing system than Avid's track based system. I am willing to have a look at FCP X again, but only after they get the software more up to pace with pro requirements. It's looking a little like the MobileMe project, IMO, where you had a great idea and horrible as hell implementation that is buggy and over bloated trying to combine versatility with simplicity.

My workflow for prep work at the moment involves a bunch of automator actions triggered by Quicksilver. Nope, that can't be done in FCP X, even with multicam support, as FCP X would require the production team (which has a mind of its own) to shoot in a different way.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 10, 2011 01:55PM
You can solve the problem by using the Media Manager and consolidating the media.
The resulting new project can be sent to color.
December 10, 2011 02:53PM
December 10, 2011 05:54PM
so collapsing doesn't do the trick?

of course collapsed multiclips are still multiclips
and i have seen situations where that was a problem.

Rui is correct, you can pass your sequence though MEdia Manager,
but you don't NEED to delete unused.
that would necessitate creating new media.

you can simply create a sequence that connects to your existing media but is no longer multicliped.

use "Crate Offline", then reconnect.

regarding FCPX, it is getting multicam very soon.

regarding Color, have you tried Resolve, Rui?
you can now get a FREE version that is only very mildly hobbled: no 2k, HD only (!)
also no noise reduction, possibly some other things

Color is definitely more EOL than FCP at the moment.

nick
December 10, 2011 06:13PM
The noise reducer is hobbled without CUDA. Nope, collapsing didn't do it. But it's good that MM does it.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 13, 2011 04:08PM
Nope,

I haven't tried Resolve yet.
I do like Color and for the next couple of years will do the job.
Color's EOL is just another $&$#"$()=?)=//%$%$! move from Apple.

The european cathedrals were built with the same tools for centuries, now days we couldn't do the same with an ultra-advanced modern tool that no one understands in what it was built to do!!!!

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
December 13, 2011 05:04PM
Resolve is really nice Rui - and the free version isn't that much dumbed down. It used to be restricted to only one node but I think they took that off now. But yeah, Color was cool, and there was no reason to kill it, AFAIKS.

December 13, 2011 05:41PM
Hi,

I will try Resolve.

Thanks

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics