FCP7 -How to create custom frame size for timelapse

Posted by vt81400 
FCP7 -How to create custom frame size for timelapse
December 16, 2011 04:07AM
hello,

I created a timelapse on a dslr which resized to 600x400 as i wanted to use it as sample and also
import in FCP7 and add a watermark in it.

I opened FCP and i cannot find a way even when using easy setup,
to create a project with 600x400pixels frame size @25fps in order to fit and
edit the image without distorting it.

I tried editing sequence presets but i get i.e. HD720xNNN etc. but could not fix that.

the timelapse is exported from timelapse assembler @ 40fps using h.264.

thanks grinning smiley

---
Vassilis Triantafyllidis
www.LemnosExplorer.com
Re: FCP7 -How to create custom frame size for timelapse
December 16, 2011 06:58AM
First, FCP7 does not work well with H.264. Use Log and Transfer to convert it to ProRes or ProRes HQ first.

Second, unless you need to reframe every single shot, I wouldn't edit in 600x400. You're just asking for a lot of work.

Do the editing work first in 1920x1080 (I assume that's what you shot, or 1280x720, whatever you had chosen to record at). Then either export a movie file of that and put it into a smaller Sequence frame size, or use Compressor or MPEG Streamclip to create a smaller compressed version with reduced dimensions.

www.derekmok.com
January 08, 2012 10:23AM
dear derek,

I will first take the opportunity to express wishes for a happy and prosperous new year to you and your family members as well as FCP LA users.

thank you for your reply, i followed your advise on the conversion and worked much better without much trouble.
I resized it from mpeg streamclip. looks ok now.

May i ask you if there is significant difference between prores LT and HQ please ?

regards,

VT
January 08, 2012 11:42AM
> May i ask you if there is significant difference between prores LT and HQ please?

ProRes LT is designed mostly for offline work. While many people have considered it "good enough" for media originating from DSLR cameras, or shows destined for the web and so forth, it's usually recommended that you work in ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ if you want to preserve as much of the video information as possible, especially if you're going to be doing effects or colour grading.

For my own directing and shooting work, done on a Canon DSLR, I just go with the middle ground, ProRes 422. For commercials, features and other bigger projects, you usually go as high as ProRes HQ or ProRes 4444.

www.derekmok.com
January 12, 2012 11:31AM
Its time for me to switch to 422 or HQ !

now its all explained, why my timelapse skies etc look really bad, after grading / CC filters. With LT, the aperture contours are quite visible (rainbow like not continuous tonality, that looks like an animated rainbow) during playback etc.

Something to be immediately fixed in future.

Great advise! really appreciated.

---
Vassilis Triantafyllidis
www.LemnosExplorer.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics