p2 footage audio drop-out after 18 seconds

Posted by Ethan 
p2 footage audio drop-out after 18 seconds
December 18, 2011 04:17PM
When I play the clip in L&T it has audio. I don't know what is happening with this footage. I've tried log and transfer several times, I used ProRes, Native and DVCPRO HD, I've tried transcoding only the audio. But in all instances the audio cuts out at 18 seconds ish.

I called the D.P and he's holding the P2 cards, but that won't necessarily solve the problem. The D.P. used the Panasonic utility to transfer the file, not drag and drop. It is a spanned file but the jump across cards come much later in the file.

Anyone ever come across something like this before?

Ethan@advantagevideosystems.com

[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[ethan-editor.blogspot.com] (My Reel)

GOING TO NAB2018? USE OUR FREE CODE:LV8875
And visit our booth in South Lower Hall @ SL14916
Re: p2 footage audio drop-out after 18 seconds
December 18, 2011 04:25PM
Is "remove duplicate frames" turned on?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 18, 2011 05:35PM
D.P called back. After 10 minutes of him telling me what an idiot I am he checked the file on the camera. It is corrupted. P2LogPro will output a file with audio, but doesn't seem to provide for 4 tracks.

But it just failed at trying to force to 24p, the "correct frame rate." Which leaves me with several choices to ferret through...The quotes denote sarcasm.

[www.imdb.com]

December 19, 2011 08:49AM
> But it just failed at trying to force to 24p, the "correct frame rate."

P2 media shouldn't need to "force to" anything at the ingest stage. Did the DP shoot 24pN or 24p?

www.derekmok.com
December 19, 2011 11:29AM
The force came during p2logpros process. I did get that to function by closing out of FCP. The resulting file was then ingested using L&T, but this file was also missing audio after 18 secs, and was also out of sync.

The D.P. says he shot: 24FRAME DVCPRO HD 720 60p DVCPRO 100-720 24p(2:3pulldown)

Retrieving the cards hopefully today and see if I have better luck.
December 19, 2011 01:44PM
Back up the cards...so you have the full card structure. Turn off the REMOVE PULLDOWN option in the L&T Preferences (strypes mentioned this), and then import.

That is an error that comes up when you remove pulldown on footage that wasn't meant to have it removed.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 19, 2011 07:05PM
Yup, that did it.

The footage always reading as 59.94 in the metadata, really had me looking at everything. But I guess that's correct even though it's 24 frame progressive footage.

[www.imdb.com]

December 20, 2011 09:18AM
> The footage always reading as 59.94 in the metadata, really had me looking at everything. But I guess that's correct
> even though it's 24 frame progressive footage.

I think that's a Panasonic quirk. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I only read about this feature, but this is apparently "Panasonic 24p" -- shooting 23.98fps but adding pulldown in-camera. "24pN" stands for "24p Native" and shoots only 23.98fps. You get longer recording time on 24pN because you're recording fewer frames, and if you wanted 23.98fps throughout the pipeline, you're supposed to shoot 24pN.

www.derekmok.com
December 20, 2011 11:23AM
Ah yes. Dear ol' Panny...

"24p" came out back in the day when they were marketing "the film look" and since tape in the NTSC world rolled at 29.97, they had to add a pulldown. Then came "24pA" when they realized that they could modify the pulldown pattern in a way that allowed the NLEs of the day to remove pulldown on import (remove 1 frame every 5 frames) and the NLEs could add a pulldown to display on their CRT monitors.. Both of these formats were designed for SD tape acquisition, which didn't support proper 24p or 24psF.

DvcproHD started life as a tape format, and I guess they kept the same terminology and later added "24pN" for native 24fps.

So yea, there is 24p, which is actually 29.97 fps, and there is 24pA which is 29.97 on the recording medium but designed for you to remove pulldown on import, and 24pN which is captured and stored as 24 fps.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 20, 2011 11:31AM
Btw, when I said 24 fps I meant 23.976 fps. Welcome to the NTSC world...

www.strypesinpost.com
January 14, 2012 02:38PM
This was the problem thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics