re: FLVs not downloading via Activity window

Posted by derekmok 
re: FLVs not downloading via Activity window
January 06, 2012 10:18PM
I'm having a Safari issue that's got me stymied. I've been using the Activity window to save FLV files I need for editing (ouch...don't ask). For about an hour tonight, it worked perfectly -- load the webpage, locate the file in the Activity window, double-click and it downloads to my selected Download folder as an FLV file which can then be converted with Perian.

But for some bizarre reason, it stopped working right in front of my eyes. And the only difference I could tell was that I had downloaded and installed the Perian component. Now when I double-click the item in the Activity window, it attempts to open the FLV into a Safari window. It's the same webpage where I had successfully saved four FLV files, which I've already converted to QuickTime. But new ones just aren't working.

I read about others who had this issue and they were told to hold down OPTION while double-clicking. But when I do that, I just get an ".html" file appearing in my Download folder. So that doesn't seem to fix it either.

I'm using Safari 5.1, Mac OS10.6.8, Perian 1.2.3. I'd hate to have to go back to my old method of screen-capturing this stuff, but heck, I've spent more time trying to fix this problem by now than running the Flash movies in real time and capturing!

www.derekmok.com
Re: re: FLVs not downloading via Activity window
January 07, 2012 12:01AM
Try grabbing the blue icon at the head of the html address on the new window that opens and dragging that to the download window/tab. We have had this thing happen just recently with flvs too. Pain in the proverbials.

January 07, 2012 05:38AM
Hi, Derek.

i now use a method Gerard suggested:
select the item in Activity window, copy,
then paste in the Downloads window.

Double clicking in the activity window worked in Firefox, last time i tried (6 months ago)

cheers,
nick
January 07, 2012 08:26AM
> i now use a method Gerard suggested:
> select the item in Activity window, copy,
> then paste in the Downloads window.

Yep, tried that too. I discovered that there was something wrong with the website; I'd gone to a simple YouTube page and tried all three methods (OPTION-double-click, drag-drop, Copy-Paste) and they all worked, as did another Flash file from another site. I guess for some reason the coding for the page changed as I was working?

www.derekmok.com
January 07, 2012 08:28AM
I've found it's a bit random. Some files work and others don't. More often it's flvs that cause problems for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics