Frame Rate Help!

Posted by N.Shams 
Frame Rate Help!
January 10, 2012 08:06PM
Hello LAFCPUG community,

I am pretty new to the world of editing, and have signed on to help transcode and organize some footage for a project. The DP mentioned some of the footage was in different rates, but i didn't know what I had to deal with until I started loading footage into compressor.

It is mainly interviews and b-roll of someone cooking shot on a 5D. The footage is in 1920 at 29.97 fps, 1920 at 24 fps, and 1280 at 60 fps. The video is intended for web only, and the DP is unsure of what frame rate to keep it in or what frame rate would even be best for her to use for this project (intended for web only). I know FCP does not handle various frame rates in one sequence, and I noticed most of the interviews and footage is in 1920 at 29.97, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew which (if either) of the 1920 frame rates would be best to for this type of project, and what the process would be in FCP to change the 1920 footage at 24fps to 29.97, and how to upres the 1280 to 1920.

So far i have transcoded the 1920 29.97 footage to Apple ProRes (LT), but don't want to go further until I figure out how to continue this process.

I appreciate the help!!
Re: Frame Rate Help!
January 11, 2012 03:12AM
When there is a frame rate mismatch, the best option is to reshoot.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 11, 2012 11:31AM
You can use Compressor, but it will take a while.

Stupid camera ops...production people. Shooting multiple rates without consideration about what it does for post. That's just inexperience or sheer stupidity.

(BTW, Avid MC5.5 and MC6 mix frame rates rather well.)

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 11, 2012 12:02PM
In light of this thread you will find this amusing if not ironic.

January 11, 2012 02:18PM
well it may suck, but it may be my only option. How can I go about doing this in compressor? what would be the appropriate settings?
January 11, 2012 03:00PM
Not trying to be anti FCP, but since it seems like a pretty simple edit maybe you should give another NLE a shot.
I assume there is still a free 30 day trial of Media Composer. The frame rates will work fine but I am not sure about the .264 situation in MC6. Or you can try Premier and use the media directly, but I don't know how well it handles
mixed frame rates in the sequence. Maybe some one here can illuminate the issue of using this kind of media in either MC6 or Premier Pro 5.5.
January 11, 2012 05:54PM
I would just convert the 24 and 30 to 60i with pulldown and edit on a 60i TL.

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
January 11, 2012 06:25PM
What's in the box? Tears. That's awesome Joe. Loved it.

January 12, 2012 06:24PM
>I would just convert the 24 and 30 to 60i with pulldown and edit on a 60i TL.

Problem here is that it is intended for web. Interlaced isn't web friendly, so she will need to deinterlace it after the cut is done. However, I am not sure how pulldown material looks after deinterlacing.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 12, 2012 08:16PM
If it was shot correctly he wouldn't have a problem, so it's not going to be perfect but it won't be so bad.

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics