Media Manage appends a -v onto some of the files

Posted by JoeE 
Media Manage appends a -v onto some of the files
January 11, 2012 05:45PM
I'm trying to down res half of the media on a series to match the previous season so we can do a compilation series. When I do a media manage, some of the files from each sequence that I media manage have a "-v" appended onto the name, so it won't reconnect. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks in advance!
Re: Media Manage appends a -v onto some of the files
January 11, 2012 06:19PM
Are you sending them to a FAT32 or NTFS drive? Are the files a maximum size, like 2 or 4 GB? If so, it's probably truncating the files based on the file size limitations of the drive formatting, and you need to reformat the drives as MacOs Extended using Disk Utility (in your Applications> Utilities) Reformatting the drive will destroy everything already on it, so make sure to save the good work to another location first.

January 11, 2012 07:07PM
> I'm trying to down res half of the media on a series to match the previous season so we can do a compilation series.

What's the logic behind that? If your clips are larger than the Sequences used to edit the older clips, then just resize the clips as you go. I could be missing something, but it seems you're creating a lot of excess media for no reason.

www.derekmok.com
January 11, 2012 07:38PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but all our drives are MacOS Extended. Any other ideas?
January 11, 2012 07:40PM
No, it's about even. It's a compilation series based on 35 webisodes which are actually at three different resolutions. We need everything the same so when we make editorial changes as we build episodes, we don't have to do so much rendering.
January 11, 2012 09:42PM
Are the files coming up a maximum size? What's the biggest one?

January 11, 2012 10:49PM
Actually I just remembered that the latest batch was very small because they were renders from Color. Maybe I need to just manage them over without checking the box to recompress the unused portion. I'll try that in the morning.
January 12, 2012 12:30PM
If it's what i think it is , Media manager does that when you have asked it to "delete unused"

From memeory It's a stupid and inconsistent system:
1st instance of a clip is "shot"
2nd is "shot-v"
3rd is "shot-1"

But if you need to reconnect to existing media, you can't ask MM to delete unused, for a work or off- site copy, as fcp uses file names to reconnect.

Nick
January 19, 2012 09:38AM
Nope, Nick. That wasn't the problem. I'm now finding that in most cases I can just remove the "-v" and the whole file is there. The others I just convert through compressor separately and it's fine. But is sure is weird that this is happening...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics