OT: joining the union

Posted by xavpil 
OT: joining the union
January 18, 2012 04:38PM
I am a promo editor working for national networks and I was wondering if this qualifies to become a Union member.
However since I started in this business I never heard of Union editor in the TV promo world. Is it because Union editors are mainly feature film editors or is it because TV doesnt deal with Union Editor?
Thanks
Re: OT: joining the union
January 18, 2012 05:04PM
...contact the Union?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 18, 2012 05:12PM
Thx! Helpful grafixnoe...as usual
This forum is to get advices from people who share their experiences. U dont reply "check the FCP user guide" when we have FCP issue.
Now if my thread isnt supposed to be posted just use youR "power" as a moderator and delete it
January 18, 2012 06:51PM
You really do need to call the Union. They will help you get the necessary papers in order.

[www.editorsguild.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 18, 2012 07:49PM
Yep... union will know and be the only ones who can tell you if your days will work for qualification. That's the best answer. I have to imagine theres some houses in LA that are union for promo work, but guessing it's not very common.
January 18, 2012 08:13PM
If those jobs fell under any union's jurisdiction it could be IATSE... or it could be NABET.
You would have to ask which would cover that department if they could push their way in.

IATSE covers mainly studio features and scripted television.
NABET non-scripted television below the line staff.

So a network game show would likely have the camera operators, sound technicians, tape ops
under NABET, Director and Floor Director under DGA. Same probably with sports and news.

There are exceptions and cross-over.

Promo department? You would have to ask.

But as you are already working the job and are not in the union then likely you would
have to gather the department to try and mount a union organizing campaign.

Tough road that one is.
January 18, 2012 08:36PM
I really appreciate your help guys.
Interesting info.
I'll check with the guild.
January 18, 2012 09:07PM
xavpil said:
Thx! Helpful grafixnoe...as usual
This forum is to get advices from people who share their experiences. U dont reply "check the FCP user guide" when we have FCP issue.
Now if my thread isnt supposed to be posted just use youR "power" as a moderator and delete it

...that is my experience. You want Union information, go to the source (as others have also noted). Not necessary to be insulting.

TimMirk said:
Yep... union will know and be the only ones who can tell you if your days will work for qualification. That's the best answer.

Thanks Tim.

Michael Horton said:
You really do need to call the Union. They will help you get the necessary papers in order.

Thanks Mike.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 18, 2012 09:26PM
> U dont reply "check the FCP user guide" when we have FCP issue.

And actually, sometimes we do.

www.derekmok.com
January 19, 2012 02:14AM
Only the Union can tell you. But I can say that from experience, Promo and commercial work doesn't count. A friend of mine needed to get into the Union to get credit for editing a feature. He's been in the post business for 20 years, cutting music videos and commercials, and 95% of what he cut didn't count.

Get the word from them though...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics