Help us buy the new Projector

TextUp Pro

All the news now and in your digital future

Master Volume for FCP?

Posted by danajstrom 
Master Volume for FCP?
February 13, 2012 04:09PM
Ok- so this feels like this is a stupid question but I've done a couple searches already, maybe I'm just not finding the right words.

I'm working with footage from a party so the audio is mostly blown out and useless. I'm just pulling clips so I want to have some music playing in my headphones but still hear my FCP audio, just at a lower level. There's got to be something I'm missing, right?
Re: Master Volume for FCP?
February 13, 2012 05:16PM
It's quite simple- it's the 13th. Your machine is haunted.

Do you have speakers attached to your workstation?

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Summon your Video Scopes with Option - 9 !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 14, 2012 05:46PM
Ha!
Yes- I have speakers attached to my system... I'm going line-out to a little controller to speakers/subwoofer. For convenience I plug my headphones into the controller line out.

I know I *could* send the FCP audio to the speakers and use the line-out for headphones or visa-versa... but what I want is to hear FCP at a lower volume then my music in my headphones. There are other people working around me so I need headphones so not to annoy them (and music so they don't annoy me!)

Changing the Master Audio level in the Audio Mixer works well if I'm ONLY working in the timeline, but it's not a universal volume control for the whole program.
February 14, 2012 05:48PM
Another thought-
The audio in these clips is blown out and loud - my timeline is well adjusted and nice sounding. Going back and forth between the timeline and clips is requiring constant re-adjustment of the volume to stay comfortable... again, this seems like such a stupidly simple thing that I feel like I'm just forgetting something obvious!
February 14, 2012 06:02PM
1. Put all the clips onto a timeline. Lower the levels with Modify - Levels (OPTION-COMMAND-L). Drag the timeline clips back into a bin and use them as new masters clips to edit with.

2. Put all the clips into a timeline. Put either an AUDynamics Processor or AUGain filter with a preset reduction level. Then drag all those clips back into a bin and use these new master clips.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2012 06:47PM
Well, that's a decent workaround.
Makes things tricky when sharing media across multiple editors though. I do have a Mackie board laying around somewhere... maybe it's time to dust it off again.
February 14, 2012 06:57PM
> Makes things tricky when sharing media across multiple editors though.

Why? All the media is the same, no file names are being changed. Just copy the bin with the new master clips to a blank project, e-mail/network/FTP the project file to the other editor. Couldn't be more simple. And if other editors already had the hot audio in the timeline, select it all and OPTION-COMMAND-L.

www.derekmok.com
February 14, 2012 08:29PM
Bring up the mixer tool. Option 9, I think. And pull down on the master fader.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 14, 2012 11:47PM
>Changing the Master Audio level in the Audio Mixer works well if I'm ONLY working in the timeline, but
>it's not a universal volume control for the whole program.

Ah. Didn't read this earlier.. Yea, what Derek said. If the audio is blown out and useless, and you are sharing those FCP clips with other editors, they can choose to up the levels on the clips if they want. The media is essentially the same.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 15, 2012 01:44AM
What Derek said, and if you find you had to adjust different levels in the timeline you can choose Relative from the popup instead of Absolute and they all come down proportionately rather to all the same level.

So you''re using a Behringer box or something to route all your audio in and out? That's what I use. I guess, depending upon how you wire it, you would hear both your iTunes and FCP as they're both coming from the computer.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Summon your Video Scopes with Option - 9 !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 15, 2012 03:39PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Why? All the media is the same, no file names are
> being changed. Just copy the bin with the new
> master clips to a blank project,
> e-mail/network/FTP the project file to the other
> editor. Couldn't be more simple. And if other
> editors already had the hot audio in the timeline,
> select it all and OPTION-COMMAND-L.

For us, the problem tends to come up later. FCP wants to match-frame back to the "same" clips they came from. If we modify or reorganize the clips in one project, FCP doesn't merge them well into another... Even though they'll be "pointing" to the same material, you get "this clip is not present, would you like to add it?" So you have to basically keep *both* sets of clips in your browser.

However, this behavior doesn't seem to be too consistent, so perhaps there's something else going on and if you have any insight, I'd appreciate it.
February 17, 2012 03:04PM
I usually leave my Master Fader at 0db, and my Track fader (which is slid via timeline controls) at 0db.

With a compressor app, in audio effects, you can do wonders for too loud or too soft.
I use it even if the audio is considered superb, as a compressor can really bring the sound into the mix.

But that is just the way I do it in FCP!

danajstrom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, that's a decent workaround.
> Makes things tricky when sharing media across
> multiple editors though. I do have a Mackie board
> laying around somewhere... maybe it's time to dust
> it off again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics