Importing Photoshop Alpha file into FCP 7

Posted by Delphinus 
Importing Photoshop Alpha file into FCP 7
February 14, 2012 06:11PM
Hi gang:
I am stumped! I just upgraded to Final Cut Pro 7. When I create a Photoshop title in an Alpha channel (as I have done hundreds of times before), import it into my browser, then drag it into my Viewer, it does not come in as an Alpha Channel file. I tried saving the file in CYMK, in RGB, in 8 bit and in 16 bit (and all combinations). It is an Alpha channel document in the Photoshop program and I save it as such, but it does not come into FCP 7 as one. I have never had this problem in FCP 6.5. Is there a difference? Any ideas?

MacPro
OS X 10.6.8
2.16 GHz Dual Core
3 GB SDRAMM
Photoshop CS5
Re: Importing Photoshop Alpha file into FCP 7
February 14, 2012 06:18PM
Make sure it's an 8 bit RGB. The other selections are bad. Are you sure it's a .psd and not a .tif with transparency turned off?

February 14, 2012 06:28PM
Thanks, Jude. That worked. I was expecting to see it as an Alpha file in the Viewer (as I always have), but it appeared solid. When I brought it into the timeline as RGB 8-bit it worked great. Thank you.
February 17, 2012 03:48PM
CMYK is for printing, and can cause all sorts of greif for FCP.

Delphinus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, Jude. That worked. I was expecting to see
> it as an Alpha file in the Viewer (as I always
> have), but it appeared solid. When I brought it
> into the timeline as RGB 8-bit it worked great.
> Thank you.
February 17, 2012 04:28PM
...not just grief...CMYK colors are the wrong colors for motion pictures period. Convert to RGB and make sure all blacks are @ 0...otherwise they show up as dark gray (or faded). You see spots on TV all the time where the Editor / Designer did not translate the graphics from CMYK to RGB. Stands out like an alligator in a swimming pool.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics