Best Transcription software

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
Best Transcription software
February 17, 2012 05:35AM
Hi. I'm wondering if there is any new decent transcription software out there to transcribe cleanly recorded interviews...thanks.
Re: Best Transcription software
February 17, 2012 06:54AM
Nope. Adobe tried, but it was 60% accurate at best. Nothing better than manually transcribing, or hiring someone to.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 17, 2012 07:13AM
Well, Google toyed around with voice recognition for a while on YouTube.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 17, 2012 07:21PM
Yeah, Premiere will get some of the way there, but it's not 100%. Still, if you run it, then listen back you can correct the mistakes and still have a large part of the work already done.

February 18, 2012 01:29AM
YouTube's transcriber is laughable at best. It's very hard to do, even for a company as big as Google.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 19, 2012 10:18PM
I've used this website called Voicebase.com. It probably does a hair better then adobe. It is also free. And online you can search the text and it will tell you where the text is temporally.

There is also "get" which will do a text search of your video, but doesn't create any sort of text doc. It actually finds words and praises in the waveform. I find I can get what I need out of these tools working on docs.
February 21, 2012 01:32AM
What Shane said. And don't bother with Nuance's MacSpeech Scribe either-- really lame. Requires tons of training and really the only way to use it is to be an echo-- listen to the speaker, dictate it into Scribe (or for that matter, MacSpeech Dictate from the same company) and then edit to correct. Since these products give you limited voice profiles, this is a decent workaround-- it's just your voice. But these systems are not complete automation by a long shot. They are toys.

Software for $100- 300 is not going to outperform a human transcriptionist at this writing.

I would love to be corrected. This, along with tracks in FCPX is one of the holy grails.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke the big TimeCode Viewer with Control -T !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Anonymous User
December 23, 2013 02:13AM
I think that express subscribe is the best till now. Here many transcription software details are given and they are very useful.
December 23, 2013 01:42PM
I have used [transcribe.wreally.com]

You upload your audio file.

The page has both a word processing window... as well as a player window, in which you can sloooooooooow down the audio to typing speed!

That feature REALLY helps! I get done in no time, without needing to stop and backup every phrase.

I used it free for a couple of days. Now a month later, it wants my card.
December 23, 2013 01:59PM
But on a related note, what method do you all like to use, to write voice-over copy, for a video file?

Do you just playback in FCP, or QT in one window, and type in Textedit in another window? e.g.

And go back-and-forth between windows?

I know at TV stations, many use a product that estimates words-to-seconds, based on how you do settings for the speaker's speech pattern.

Is there something where the video file is in one part of the screen, and you type in another part?

The other day, I saw a nice App for iPad for making a video Podcast. It puts your narration file in one part of the screen, and your iPad camera in another part, so you can record yourself reading like from a Teleprompter.

I was thinking something like that for being able to write voice over narr for a video, video and typing box on one-screen.
January 04, 2014 02:35PM
Find a court reporter. We email an audio file and get a text file back. Not expensive either. I have a friend who uses this approach for CC.

JB
January 07, 2014 06:11PM
Joe Brown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Find a court reporter. We email an audio file and
> get a text file back. Not expensive either. I
> have a friend who uses this approach for CC.
>
> JB

I second that. Normal estimate I've gotten is 4 hrs@ $25/hr to do 1 hour of audio. Mine takes somewhat less, and is so pleased to get crystal clean audio she calls it a treat.

In the Olden Days (OS9) you could then just copy/paste the text file for each answer into the 'comments' column, size the width, and FCP would text wrap it. Made cutting interviews a breeze. I had hoped PP would bring this back, but it seems to be a lost cause. Sigh...

randy
March 04, 2014 08:55AM
From a Nuance email to existing customers just received:

"Dragon Dictate for Mac (V. 4) is packed with a host of new features and enhancements and for the first time, now includes the powerful capability to accurately transcribe an audio file of any single speaker's voice from podcasts or pre-recorded audio files. (Boldface theirs). It's now a 64-bit app.

US$99.00, half price sale to existing customers until March 31, $199.00 retail after. Here!

Anyone try it? Please report.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 30, 2018 11:16AM
There are plenty. Some of my top favorite ones are:

1. Transcribe
2. Typingpool
3. Transcription Helper

There are other great software too but I would suggest you to read more about them before deciding which one would be best for you.
Re: Best Transcription software- New Player
March 05, 2018 09:28PM
We have a new player from an old friend, Digital Heaven -- Martin Baker's SpeedScriber-- recently out of beta. VERY promising. You still need to edit, but a speedy text editor is provided, it's FAST. Supports multiple speakers.

Upload, process in the cloud, edit where needed done.

Good-O, Martin!

Best, as always.
Loren S. Miller
Re: Best Transcription software- New Player
March 05, 2018 10:11PM
Pretty old thread but always great to see your name Loren. So man new transcription tools lately. Martin's, Digital Anarchy and now Philip Hodgetts is about to announce one at NAB.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 13, 2018 09:01AM
Hey, Mike-

Looking forward to that!

Best, as always.
Loren
May 04, 2018 06:57AM
Second Speedscriber of you're reading this thread and looking for answers. We recently used it on more than 200 interviews with all kinds of accents and it worked really well. As Loren says you have to go over the results, but it gets you a long way down the road at about 10 times real time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics