Frozen frame when video playback selected

Posted by Jroweski 
Frozen frame when video playback selected
February 19, 2012 01:16PM
Hello,
Working on outputting a project and suddenly my video frame remains frozen when I have the video playback selected. When I uncheck it, the video plays just fine in the canvas with the audio. This only occurs on two sequences. In the other sequences, everything works. So, the problem I'm having is specifically with a sequence.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
-J

G5
OSX10.4.11
FCP5
Re: Frozen frame when video playback selected
February 19, 2012 04:35PM
Try trashing preferences. I've seen weird issues like this before caused by corrupt prefs.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 19, 2012 05:05PM
First I'd check something more basic: If some Sequences get stuck and others don't, it suggests that the stuck Sequences have different settings that don't have real-time playback. Check Sequence Settings first before you ditch preferences.

www.derekmok.com
March 03, 2012 09:36PM
Hi, I'm having a similar problem playing out video over HDMI cable from a Black Magic Intensity Pro Card from my Mac Pro Tower. It will only a show a single frame on the external monitor. The audio plays fine but the TV shows only the video frame that the playback head is parked on when it is stopped. Any help will greatly appreciated!!! I'm a newbie to this forum although I have attended in Hollywood lots of times and love LAFCPUG.
March 03, 2012 10:43PM
Is your View > External Video > set to All Frames? And what is the codec of your sequence? Some will not play externally in real time, depending on your settings.

March 04, 2012 07:31PM
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes I'm set to All Frames.
The codec is blackmagic HDTV 1080p 24 Apple Pro Res (HQ)

Thanks again
March 04, 2012 10:38PM
[ Hi, I'm having a similar problem playing out video over HDMI cable from a Black Magic Intensity Pro Card from my Mac Pro Tower.]

I just installed that very card (great price and service from B&H, NYC) a couple days ago, and usually it works without a hitch, but occasionally the settings seem to become a little sticky (Lion 7.3), for instance when you're switching projects using different formats.

Like Derek and Jude said, you must match your sequence settings to your output, and both should be BLACKMAGIC codecs in the proper frame size and rate, or you'll get only freezes and soundtrack.

It may help to set everything correctly, then Save, then quit and restart FCP.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke the big TimeCode Viewer with Control -T !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 04, 2012 10:44PM
I had this problem the other day with a Blackmagic card when I set it to output 24 fps instead of 23.98 by mistake.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 05, 2012 05:08AM
What Jon said.

Also I'm going to revise my comments here, having examined my timeline and video playback settings. My projects vary in settings and I conflated two.

A good example is one of my timelines with clips in DVCProHD 720p60/30, ingested through Log and Transfer from hard disk camera archive without transcoding.

The Video Playback Blackmagic codec I first chose was Blackmagic 720p60, which delivered video freeze and smooth audio. I didn't take into account my frame rate, which was 23.98.

The next one I chose was Blackmagic 720p 59.94 which delivers full video motion and audio via HDMI from a 23.98 timebase.

You must match your frame size to the codec frame size, of course. But if you get the freeze within one choice for a given format-- try another frame rate.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 05, 2012 10:43PM
Thank you all so much. Man, I was about ready to take my Black Magic Card back to the store but you guys solved it for me. Apparently, with the Black Magic Intensity Pro card the Video Playback must be set to either Black Magic 1080i 59.94 or 720p 59.4 for full streaming playback to occur on the external monitor via HDMI. I guess this has to to with interlacing or something. Black Magic ought to put this in their manual!!!!! It would sure save a lot of grief. I have tried this now on footage assembled from scans in HD 1920 X 1080 at 24 fps and stuff shot on my decade old Canon GL1 in mini DV. No difference.

So I have the center HDMI connected to my external flat screen MD monitor and the L and R audio outputs connected to my monitor amp and speakers. Looks like the way to go.
March 06, 2012 11:54AM
Yeah, that's the other thing they need to clarify-- which one is IN and which one is OUT!

Otherwise, very good accessory.

Also, they have a feedback mechanism which allows them to improve their docs.
I mean, basically they're good engineers! ;-)

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke the big TimeCode Viewer with Control -T !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 06, 2013 07:57AM
I have a similar problem (maybe?) only it's frozen clips in the event library

I can't view clips in the event viewer anymore. The cursor doesn't move, hitting l or j or / or the > button, nothing happens. The only way to view the clip is to pull the cursor across it (not very good) or drop it on the timeline and set the in/out there (really not good).

I reinstalled FCP X, updated all my software and for about 1 minute, it worked correctly again, couldn't use the keyboard, but at least the > button worked. Then it just stopped working again.

Does this sound like anything anyone's come across before?

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics