Corrupt Projects all of a sudden

Posted by Ethan 
Corrupt Projects all of a sudden
February 24, 2012 12:42PM
I havent had a corrupt project since FCP v4 I think. And it happened once, all of a sudden every other week, this one project won't open. Thank you Digital Rebellions "Project Repair," its not that big a deal. No crash, everything is working fine I shut down and come back the next day and its Vur-kakte.

I wonder if it is the drive, something I downloaded, I found some FCP X project stuff on the drive maybe its that...

Ethan@advantagevideosystems.com

[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[ethan-editor.blogspot.com] (My Reel)

GOING TO NAB2018? USE OUR FREE CODE:LV8875
And visit our booth in South Lower Hall @ SL14916
Re: Corrupt Projects all of a sudden
February 24, 2012 12:54PM
Could be your drive, could be your software, could be corrupt media files. Try moving the project to the system drive, take the original drive out of the equation. And the next time it happens, try taking all media offline and opening the same project file (not a copy) with all media offline, see if it obeys.

www.derekmok.com
February 24, 2012 02:16PM
I guess I should have mentioned the project has over 5 terabytes of media, and I've had larger more complicated shows so it's not the size of the show, although it may be how I'm using it. smiling smiley
February 24, 2012 02:30PM
> I guess I should have mentioned the project has over 5 terabytes of media

That's quite a bit, but more often in my experience it's a side effect. The more media you have, the more likely it is that some of it is mis-captured, corrupt, or otherwise problematic. Not much you can do except ensure at the import stage that everything is correct. If it's a file corruption (often impossible to spot), you'll just have to import the media one small group at a time and eliminate some suspects.

Even better, split your project up into reels, or days, or episodes, or other more manageable units. It's really not that often that you'll need to access all 5TB of media at one time.

www.derekmok.com
February 28, 2012 09:44AM
in addition to this topic (open question) what are the maximum FCP project file sizes you've worked with?

Bluey,
February 28, 2012 12:25PM
Common wisdom is that you don't want one over 70 mb. I've certainly worked with many pushing 100mb not fun if you crash waiting for it to open.

On my PowerPC g5 dual processor, I had a project that was over 100mb, had many many sequences, complicated sequences with motion projects and multiple layers of SD video it Dragged on for a year. It was stable to the very end. It took days to turn out a DVD, but it was stable. And 20 minutes to open the project.

Now if it gets over 60mb I split my reels into separate projects.

Btw unmounting the drive opening the project and forcing a re-link, seems to open these projects. Which was also the fix to the "out of memory" problem during render that I was having.

Also side note Matrox minis do not like mixing ProRes codecs in a timeline.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics