Graphics card upgrade

Posted by Momo 
Graphics card upgrade
March 15, 2012 10:22AM
I have a Mac Pro 4,1 that I purchased in 2009. I currently have a 512 mb ATI card but was considering upgrading to 1 GB or larger for Motion and After Effects. Is ATI/AMD recommended over Nvidia or vice versa? What is more compatible with FCP 7/X, Avid and CS5. I own all three but primarily use FCP 5.
Re: Graphics card upgrade
March 15, 2012 10:40AM
If you are using After Effects a lot. Look at a Nvidia card with CUDA.
March 15, 2012 06:28PM
Which version of the OS are your running and which version of After Effects?

For Apple ProApps then ATI

For Adobe products then as Russ says Nvidia especially the GTX285 (if you can find one!) or Quadro 4000 or in my case under Lion you can hack a PC Nvidia card such as the GTX580.

Both are compatible and the faster cards are great for both but the current version CS5.5 of After Effects is still heavily reliant on loads of RAM and lots of processors to speed it up not so much the GPU.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 19, 2012 04:48PM
Yes, Nvidia is where i would go. However, the hack on the newer GTX 5-series only works on post 2008 machines. The gtx 285, Quadro 4000, and i believe the GT120.

4,1 would be about 2008 so i would check to see if that fit.

You know I tried the hack for the GTX570 on my 2,1 and there was no go so i have it sitting here waiting for the mac pro update so i can get this card in. Sadly i am using AE and PP without cuda. ( not bad but no bells and whistles either )

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics