OT: Cooler Internal Drives With 3 Inside

Posted by J.Corbett 
OT: Cooler Internal Drives With 3 Inside
March 22, 2012 09:43AM
Last year i had my 1st drive fail completely. It was because the head had over heated and melted, as they told me. He also told me this:

The inside of a Mac is hotter than a PC and for every drive that you put in, this temperature goes up. Try not to fill all bays and your other 3 drives will run cooler.

I Confirmed this buy looking at past temp reading compared to now. The past temps i kept in a written log. I had been keeping since July of 2011. Now 3 months into the 2012 with monthly temp logs i can confirm that my drives are running about 10-15* cooler than when i had 4.

The Hitachi HDD in slot4 that at one time would average 135* now averages 117*. This was my hottest drive.

Bay1 - Samsung F1: THEN 107* / Now 95*

Bay2 - Hitachi Deskstar: Then 127* / Now 115*

Bay3 - NONE

Bay4 - Hitachi Deskstar: Then 135* / Now 117*

These number are taken after the tower has been running for 4 hrs and it only shoots up 2-5* during heavy write to sessions.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: OT: Cooler Internal Drives With 3 Inside
March 22, 2012 10:29AM
Just to make a comparison - Mac Pro 1,1

Bay1 - WD-Black Carver-1TB-Boot :73°

Bay2 - Seagate-1.5TB :75°

Bay3 - Seagate-1.5TB :75°

Bay4 - WD-250GB-Used for Photoshop scratch only :77°

Hard Drive Temperature readings:

WD-Black Carver :90°

Seagate :84°

Seagate :84°

WD-250GB :84°

I'm in Tucson, so the temps should go up during the hot freak'en summer.

I had three WD drives fail in the last 2 years. But they were 5 or 6 years old.
March 22, 2012 02:56PM
WoW

I wonder if Seagate & WD run cooler by design.

I am a Hitachi guy, But i wish my 2,1 could run that cool. The drive that failed was a Seagate but it ran at 112*F.

How often you blow out the dust?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
March 22, 2012 03:09PM
Curious,
What's everyone using to check temperature in their systems.
I am using Temperature Monitor by Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme.
I run 4 drives in my system and even with a full 8 processor render from compressor overnight on 500GB of HDV to ProRes I don't think I ever hit some of those temperatures.

Mind you I use compressed air and I vacuum out the fans quite frequently, as I am changing the individual hard drives relatively frequently.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 22, 2012 03:53PM
I am using istat pro to monitor temps.

I used compressed air on the fans from inside out. Probably once a month and on any drive change.

""""
March 22, 2012 05:14PM
I use istat pro also. I also adjust the fan speeds with smcFanControl.

I have more problems with dog hair inside my computer. I have to clean it out as least once a month. If I forget the red lights come on on the memory board... Tells me it's time to clean it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics