Out of sync sound when exporting FCP 5d footage

Posted by A.Bejar 
Out of sync sound when exporting FCP 5d footage
April 01, 2012 10:02AM
Hello,
I'm trying to export a short video profile shot on a Canon 5D mark II. The picture was shot at 30 fps on the Canon. I recorded separate audio on a Zoom HN4 and Tascam recorder and synched it up manually. Works fine on the timeline (29.97). The client needs a QT file for uploading to YouTube. I've done a straight -self-contained- QT conversion and it goes out of sync. I've done a test on a 30 fps timeline and the same thing happens. I'm on a deadline and need to get this out by tomorrow am. Anybody come across a solution to this problem without going back to the master files?

Thanks,

Alf
PS:: Out of sync sound when exporting FCP 5d footage
April 01, 2012 10:19AM
The original 5d footage to was converted to ProRes 422 for editing. I'm using FCP 6.
SOLUTION TO OUT OF SYNC SOUND!
April 01, 2012 11:31AM
I found a post on Creative Cow where someone had the same problem. They removed some extra audio clips they had at the beginning of the timeline and the problem was solved.

As a test, I removed I removed clips I used for sound editing, room tone, etc., and kept only the direct sound. Alas, no sync problem. Don't know what the specific cause is but very interesting. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the 5D.
Correction
April 01, 2012 12:05PM
OK, I'm having a personal thread here but thought I'd share. Ignore the previous post. The sync is holding up when I convert to H264, 1220 x 720, which is my what I'm going to use to on YouTube. It goes out of sync when I make a self-contained QT movie from the full HD ProRes timeline. So, problem solved, sort of, since I don't need the self contained file for now.

alf
Re: Correction
April 02, 2012 03:47PM
Sounds like an audio resampling issue. Does your audio require a render? Is there a dark green line at the top of the audio file in the timeline?

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Out of sync sound when exporting FCP 5d footage
April 03, 2012 04:14AM
I've totally run into this, with making an OMF. The first clip was 44.1, and I didn't realize it, and it acted as if everything in the timeline was 44.1 and sync just slid out.

I don't remember what the exact mismatch was, but it was definitely,just one clip at the very lead of the sequence. There was other similar audio in the sequence, but the problem was in it being the first piece of audio.
April 03, 2012 04:46AM
That's weird. My practice is always to convert all audio to 48kHz all the time. Also to make sure the audio doesn't require rendering in FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 03, 2012 07:56AM
I'm a stickler for converting everything as well, the odd man out was fill from production audio. There had been a fill in sound mixer for two days, and it hadn't even occurred to me that his spec was different, or that there had been two production mixers.

Using that sound had no ill effect in reel 1, but starting reel 2 with it created an out of sync OMF.

Another set of problems, I guess I can say goodbye to as I switch to Avid.

Incidentally I didn't start prepping the show, I inherited it when the first editor failed to get started. And then complained to the producers/director that the movie was too crappy for his name to appear on. I'm very proud of this cute little movie and it is available on YouTube, it's titled "Time Expired."
April 04, 2012 09:26AM
Ethan,

I was that editor...j/k
Re: SOLUTION TO OUT OF SYNC SOUND!
April 05, 2012 06:10PM
No! That was me! But my time expired. j/k
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics