i know... but edited in mp4... now how to print to video

Posted by not_this_what_then 
i know... but edited in mp4... now how to print to video
April 30, 2012 08:12AM
hi,

i know you are never supposed to edit with mp4 files, etc. i did anyways... thought it was faster than converting in mpeg streamclip etc...

however... now i'm having a problem printing to video. the audio is passing fine to my mini dv... but the video is not showing up. when connecting my camera "dv in" to my computer... i can scroll around on the time line and see the images changing on my camera screen... but if i play, the last image pulled up will be the one still stuck on the camera screen. the audio will move, but the image will stay put on the camera screen (plays fine on the computer).

after spending 1000's of hours on a video... have any suggestions?

thanks smiling smiley
Re: i know... but edited in mp4... now how to print to video
April 30, 2012 08:26AM
Did you render?

What Sequence Settings did you use? If you had allowed FCP to change Sequence Settings to match media, you could have improper settings that can't play out to tape, period.

It's hard to believe, you spent thousands of hours on a video but couldn't be bothered to take a few hours (if that) to convert your media in the beginning and prep the project properly? Try to sort out your priorities. I'm willing to bet you wasted more time with the timeline hangups, crashes, and your current issue than if you had spent it on prepping the media.

www.derekmok.com
Re: i know... but edited in mp4... now how to print to video
April 30, 2012 08:28AM
i'm having this problem -- [forums.creativecow.net]

tried the print to video with the fcp countdown before the video goes... and my camera isn't even seeing the count down... this seems deeper than a format issue then, yeah?

thanks again derek and friends
yes i rendered smiling smiley honestly, the mp4 was pretty stable editing wise. only had one crash smiling smiley

sequence:
640X480 ntsc 4:3
pixel ratio -- square
field dominance -- none
compressor -- h.264

most of the clips are:
640X480
pixel ratio -- square
field dominance -- none
compressor -- h.264

the first time i tried printing to video it was dropping frames... i selected "abort next time this happens" or something along those lines as i was trying to get it to print even with the dropped frames. could this be the reason for the black screen?

at this point, if i'm screwed from the mp4 editing... should i just try filming the video off the screen? i know i'll lose a ton of quality, but it is a music video... smiling smiley hope i don't have to do that though. thanks.
Re: now all i have is either a blue screen (timeline) or black screen (print to video) / settings
April 30, 2012 08:44AM
Change your sequence settings to match your camera. Then render. Then try.

sorry -- the camera and sequence settings are the same.
Re: now all i have is either a blue screen (timeline) or black screen (print to video) / settings
April 30, 2012 08:45AM
You're trying to print to tape to a h.264 camera?

ahhh... you mean the mini dv camera... sorry. i thought you meant the flip camera i shot it on. ha.

what would that be? 720X480?
April 30, 2012 08:47AM
Just choose a sequence preset from the popup menu that matches your camera - I guess some kind of DV NTSC?

exactly. will do. just changed it to dv/dvpro ntsc. it is an old sony handycam -- one of the first 3ccd beasts. okay, now i see what you mean about the mp4. long rendering times to make this change smiling smiley will report back after it renders and will let you know how it goes.

thanks jude smiling smiley
negative
April 30, 2012 09:01AM
tried the dv / ntsc switch in the sequence... still, no luck.

black screen and audio. blue screen on time line. strange, right?
Re: negative
April 30, 2012 09:05AM
Go to Easy Setup. Choose DV NTSC. Create new sequence. Copy everything from old sequence and paste it in. Save. Quit FCP. Shut down machine.

Set dv deck/camera to vtr mode. Plug in. Power on computer. Turn on FCP and open FCP prj. Print to tape.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 30, 2012 09:10AM
> Go to Easy Setup. Choose DV NTSC. Create new sequence. Copy everything from old sequence and paste it in. Save. Quit FCP. Shut down machine.
> Set dv deck/camera to vtr mode. Plug in. Power on computer. Turn on FCP and open FCP prj. Print to tape.

Don't forget to render.

www.derekmok.com
April 30, 2012 09:56AM
Yea, and do NOT "change sequence to clip settings" if that check box appears.

www.strypesinpost.com
right on
April 30, 2012 10:03AM
that worked ! ! smiling smiley

you guys are awesome -- thanks so much. appreciate the step by step strypes -- got the video looking great on the print smiling smiley

now that i have this new sequence... do you have any suggestions on the best way to export to quicktime? smiling smiley smiling smiley

thanks y'all.
i changed the compressor to ntsc / quicktime conversion
April 30, 2012 10:31AM
looks grainy, but maybe that's just my footage. it is the first time i've ever done a bounce where the first bounce to quicktime isn't stretched, etc.

thanks for these new settings smiling smiley

i'm passing the mini dv to vhs though and that's looking really cool... smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics