Is Lion Compatible with Final Cut Studio 3?

Posted by shelleyrae 
Is Lion Compatible with Final Cut Studio 3?
May 01, 2012 04:02PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a new MacBook Pro for portable editing. But the new MacBook Pros come with Lion installed. I want to continue using Final Cut Studio 3 because I use everything in that suite. I also have several hundred dollars invested third party plugs-in that work beautifully with Motion 4 and Final Cut 7.

I did an Google search about whether FCS3 is compatible with Lion and am getting mixed messages. I know that Final Cut X and Lion is supposed to be this wonderful combo, but I am one of those who refuse to make the switch to Final Cut X. I would rather learn Premiere Pro or Avid than switch to Final Cut X.

So in short, would I be better off when I get the new MacBook Pro to uninstall Lion and install Snow Leopard so I can keep all my editing software in tact and compatible? Can I even do that? Or is Lion now finally friendly with older versions of FC?

I appreciate any advice and am holding off on making the purchase until I hear from some of you experts.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Shelley Rae

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Is Lion Compatible with Final Cut Studio 3?
May 01, 2012 05:51PM
Not to worry, FCS3 works fine with Lion. I'm running both on my 2008 MBPro with no issues (and yes, I too have a lot of $$ tied up in FCP 7 plugins!)

May 02, 2012 05:01AM
Lion and FCP 7 work fine together.

May 02, 2012 08:27AM
Beautiful! Thank you guys!!!

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
May 02, 2012 11:05AM
As usual, make sure you clone a copy of your OS before upgrading, and be careful about those firmware upgrades (you can't downgrade firmware easily).

I'm running Lion at home, but I haven't used FCP for anything at home since FCP X came out. Most of it seems fine, but you may want to proceed with caution especially if you are running 3rd party plugins that rely on an eco-system (processor, graphics cards, OS, QT, etc..).

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics