Recommendations for capturing HDV thru component

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Recommendations for capturing HDV thru component
May 08, 2012 09:13AM
We still use the old Sony Z1U cameras for a few projects from time to time, and only one of ours has a working firewire output...the others have been blown out and the costly repairs to them are not in the budget.

I'm wondering about being able to capture component HDV video, and I know there are several products out there, but I would appreciate a recommendation on an affordable (yes, I mean cheap) solution to be able to capture component HDV video (and it's corresponding audio, naturally) into a MacBook Pro.

Thanks in advance!
Casey Petersen
Re: Recommendations for capturing HDV thru component
May 09, 2012 12:38AM
Does said MacBook Pro have an Express34 slot? If so, the Matrox MXO2 Mini. Does it have Thunderbolt? Then the Mini with thunderbolt adapter. THere's also the Decklink Intensity with Thunderbolt.

If you lack Express34 or Thunderbolt...then you are outta luck.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 09, 2012 01:47AM
The question is how to control the camera since it doesn't have Rs 422? Through FW? Not sure if that is advisable. If you crash record, you lose source timecode and the ability to recapture.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 09, 2012 09:18AM
I'm not sure if it has the Express34 or not, it is the original 17" MacBook Pro from 2005-2006. Timecode is not necessary. Are there more options for a Mac Pro than the MacBook Pro?

Thanks!
Casey
May 09, 2012 09:23AM
Oh...well, there's good news and bad news about your model of MacBook Pro. Good news, your machine has Express34. All 17" models do. Bad news is that the processor is too slow to capture 1080i HDV as ProRes. The machine needs to do the encoding, and that encoding requires fast processors. Your laptop, like mine (that is a 2008) is too slow. Only newer i5 and i7 processors are fast enough to capture HDV as ProRes.

MacPro has a LOT more options. Decklink Intensity Pro for one...the Matrox MXO2 Mini works on that too. And the processors are fast enough to convert to proRes.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 09, 2012 09:26AM
Oh, but it would be capable of capturing as HDV though, which would be all I would need in my particular instance.

Thanks much!
Casey
May 09, 2012 04:30PM
Won't recommend capturing a component signal as HDV.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 13, 2012 08:21PM
maybe rent or borrow an HDV deck or camera.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics