making a slide show in FCP with stills

Posted by evasajovic 
making a slide show in FCP with stills
May 16, 2012 03:44AM
Hello
I'm trying to do a split screen slideshow for a plasma screen where the left images run at a different time to the right ones. But what comes out after the export looks pixelated and blurry.
I'm not sure at what res and size to import the images, what to set my sequence to and how to export to create best possible picture?
Thank you.
e
Re: making a slide show in FCP with stills
May 16, 2012 05:26AM
Have you tried using PowerPoint or Keynote?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 16, 2012 05:46AM
I don't know how to so I went for FCP. Do you think there is no way with that?
May 16, 2012 06:23AM
If you're planning to do a slideshow for a presentation, you would be much better off with Keynote or PowerPoint as those applications are designed for that. In FCP you can't really switch slides at the push of a button during the presentation. Also, you'll have to wrap your head around video formats, how an NLE works. It's a much steeper learning curve for a presentation.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 16, 2012 06:58AM
The slideshow would be on a DVD on a loop as part of an exhibition in a gallery. So it does not need to be paused.
May 16, 2012 07:13AM
In that case, set the sequence to Uncompressed 8 bit, either PAL or NTSC, depending on where you live. You could try using PAL as it has better vertical resolution, but it depends on whether the player supports it. Go to sequence>settings and set field dominance to "none".

www.strypesinpost.com
May 16, 2012 07:52AM
will try that thank you.
e
May 16, 2012 08:20AM
i have now realised that although the mov that I get once exported looks good in the Tv screen, once I create it as a DVD and play it on TV screen it looks pixelated again. would you be able to advise on how to overcome that please? I use iDVD as don't have else. thanks. e
May 20, 2012 07:18AM
It sounds as if you are suffering from the compression you need to use when you make a DVD. My guess is that your stills are pretty hi resolution. Most things shot even on an iPhone these days have a larger pixel matrix then HD television.

DVD's are standard definition only. So when you take your finished presentation and crunch it down to to the file specification for a DVD (720x486 MPEG 2) you are left with some less than appealing looking images.

If that is the case you need to find an alternate to delivering on DVD. Two quickly come to mind, Blu-Ray, which will allow you to have resolutions up to HD video, or computer delivery. The first will require you to purchase additional hardware and software. The later might not.

For an unattended loop I would use the Blu-Ray method if you can budget for it. It will be less likely to crash.
May 23, 2012 12:06PM
VPiccin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> DVD's are standard definition only. So when you
> take your finished presentation and crunch it down
> to to the file specification for a DVD (720x486
> MPEG 2) you are left with some less than appealing
> looking images.
>
>

I'd like to add a contrarian view to this- by judicioius use of brightness and contrast, colour correction,the use of ProRes 422 and reasonable sized
images for pan and scan (say 25% larger), you can make awesome looking DVDs in Standard Definition.
I make SD slideshows on FCP 6.02 all the time.

...and if it looks good in SD, it will look even better in "Baby HD" (1280x720)

Just my half a nickel (as Canada has discontinued the penny as legal currency)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics