Which version of FCP should I get?

Posted by NoelN 
Which version of FCP should I get?
May 19, 2012 02:16PM
Hi, Noel here, iMac 3.06 Ghz i3, 4GB 1333 Mhz DDDR3. I will be assemble editing a short piece shot at 720P on P2 cards. (Panasonic HVX 200A)
after doing the assemble edit, I will be sending it to another editor who works on FCP studio 2, I believe that is FCP 6. I've never sent out a project to another editor so that will be a new experience. Should I find a used copy of FCP 6 and send him the project file from that or is there good reason to assemble it in FCP 7 and send it to him using XML files? Be gentle, I have been away from video since the FCP 2 days.
Thanks!
Re: Which version of FCP should I get?
May 19, 2012 02:54PM
Export an XML. Experiment with which version of XML you should sent (or send multiple ones); XML import can be a bit hit-or-miss when crossing software versions.

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2012 03:12PM
Thanks Derek, probably best to not go too many versions down, so maybe FCP 7 is the best choice?
May 19, 2012 03:17PM
That would be XML v4.

However, my suggestion would differ from Derek's. As a general rule when working between workstations, use the same version of everything, from machines, to OS, to QT versions, to FCP versions. At the very least, the same version of FCP. Update both FCP versions to 6.0.6.

There are things that do not translate very well, if not at all in XML land, such as multiclips. It also makes sure that whatever format you are importing, he won't have an issue with either.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 19, 2012 04:02PM
Neither. I would start really looking in here:

[www.lafcpug.org]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 19, 2012 04:05PM
If you're not going back and forth too many times, it should be okay. And the traffic is one-way. The other editor doesn't need to use XML; he can simply send you his project file, or an abbreviated version of it containing only pertinent sequences.

However, test, test, test. And as strypes pointed out, there are limitations to XML -- longer Sequences often flat-out fail, for example, and it can necessitate a pain-in-the-ass operation Jack-the-Rippering a timeline into multiple parts.

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2012 04:22PM
Yea, what Derek said too. Large XMLs just don't work.

My recommendation on compatibility is to use the same version of FCP. But it shouldn't be a huge issue to work on 7.

However, as Joey mentioned too, I do not have an inclination to make an advise on buying dead software.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 19, 2012 04:37PM
Strypes, that sounds like the sensible thing to do, is log and transfer the same in FCP 6 and FCP 7.
May 19, 2012 04:43PM
I am reluctant to buy dead software as well, but this is a pretty important job for me and as I am unfamiliar to handing off a project like this I want it to go as smoothly as possible. I think I can find used copies of FCP 7 within my budget.
May 19, 2012 04:47PM
Just to be devil's advocate: The flip side is that since the old FCP has been discontinued, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to find a usable copy. So if you think you'll still be using FCP7 for a little while -- and a lot of companies I know haven't upgraded one way or another, nor moved to Avid or Premiere -- there's a ticking clock on buying FCP7.

www.derekmok.com
May 19, 2012 04:55PM
I have to do it soon, there are copies on ebay that seem legit.

NN
May 19, 2012 08:25PM
Thanks for the input everyone!
May 20, 2012 12:30PM
What would constitute a long clip in terms of XML stability?
May 20, 2012 04:50PM
NoelN
... there are copies on ebay that seem legit.

Maybe it is time, after Apple's abandonment of those they tantalized with FCP3-7, to review the ethics of using pirated copies.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics