Audio questions
May 21, 2012 09:23PM
Anyone know the FCP 7 equivalent of the Avid set volume or pan global or from in to out? I'd like to make all material on tracks 1-8 center panned. Also, if I have a clip where 1-8 all have different volumes how can I make all of the clips have that exact volume per track without selecting each track and doing the option/command L absolute/relative thing eight times. Like A1 is 8db and A2 is 0db and A3 is 16db and so on across all edits and all tracks in one swoop?

What is the best way to slip audio without dragging and guessing? Preferably hearing it slip while it slips like when the front of a sentence is clipped and you want to roll it back without having to matchback, find a new inpoint and cut it back in?

Also, does anyone know how many tracks FCP 7 will play effectively in real time without having to render. I set my settings to sixteen but I have my doubts.

Lastly ( this is a 2001 question ) does anyone know why when ripple trimming forward it stops at the dissolve as opposed to just going forward to the actual edit point and keeping the dissolve? I've wondered this for years, why I have to take a dissolve off and put it back on. I feel like I don't need the warning it gives me, I understand the repercussions of what I am trying to do, so do it. I feel the same way about clip collision and that thing it does when you set an in and an out and try to make an extraction or a ripple delete and your in or out is parked on a dissolve and it's like "NO" when I want it to be "YES" ...crazy annoying. Is there a logic to all of these "NO" functions? I've known about these aspects for ten years but all the while I have felt like I am missing some kind of editing wisdom.

Ian
Re: Audio questions
May 21, 2012 09:42PM
> I'd like to make all material on tracks 1-8 center panned.

Select the clips desired (use the Single Track Forward tool for individual tracks). CONTROL , . / to pan all selected audio clips left, center or right.

> What is the best way to slip audio without dragging and guessing? Preferably hearing it slip while it slips like when the front of a sentence is clipped and you want to
> roll it back without having to matchback, find a new inpoint and cut it back in?

Open the clip into the Viewer, look at the waveform, enter a new In point. No point in cutting the clip back into the timeline. Or, select the edge of the edit with either the Arrow or Roll tool, then OPTION-Left/Right Arrow to nudge it forward or backward, or +- [number of frames]. This "guesswork" method actually works a lot faster because you don't have to enter another interface. Once you get used to the shortcuts, you can deliberately overshoot the frame number (eg. you only need four frames, but you enter eight), and then correct later.

> how can I make all of the clips have that exact volume per track without selecting each track and doing the option/command L absolute/relative thing eight times.

If even that's not convenient enough, you can use the Audio Mixer tool. I find it a lot less reliable, though, since the clips themselves don't reflect the changes made in the mixer.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Audio questions
May 21, 2012 10:08PM
Very helpful Derek thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics