Best Format / audio level for news stations.

Posted by mindsnare 
Best Format / audio level for news stations.
June 04, 2012 06:23PM
Hello

I am editing a short vid that will be attached to a press release. I was wondering what is the best export format for news stations for a short one minute media clip? What about audio levels where should I be at for db's?

Thanks for your help
Sean
Re: Best Format / audio level for news stations.
June 04, 2012 08:19PM
It will really depend on the station. But just to make you feel better, News stations are used to dealing with everything from mobile phone footage up. If you're really worried, contact them and ask them what they would prefer. It's no big deal. They will probably be surprised and delighted that you bothered.

A pretty safe broadcast level for audio is averaging around -12 and no higher than -6.

June 05, 2012 12:01AM
Jude

Thanks for the reply. We are not sure what stations are going to pick it up since it is a press release. We want to create a downloadable press file should any stations want to pick up the story. I guess I am asking what would be a good all around encoding setting for general broadcast format. I am thinking MPEG or Pjpeg. Also would it be a good idea to add tones and bars?

Thanks
Sean
June 05, 2012 01:52AM
Are we talking HD or SD source? How long is it? If it's short and HD and quality is important, then you could put up a DNXHD clip and a ProRes clip to cover your bases. If it's longer and needs to be smaller file size, I'd go a mpg with H.264 encoding. Almost everyone can handle those these days, and the quality to size ratio is good.

Bars and tone are not necessary for news items and you don't want to bulk up your file size by adding them when you don't have to.

June 05, 2012 03:10AM
What Jude said, and I think -12 DB full digital scale (0 is top) is the best-practice broadcast standard. On a digital scale that gives you plenty of headroom between that and 0. After 0, you're distorting.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

Open A/V Settings with Command-Option-Q !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 06, 2012 11:28AM
(in my experience) There is no "standard" really...best to ask each station you are sending to. -6 db I have only sent out for internet play - way too hot for TV stations. -12 is too hot for some stations. I used to ship -20 on request to certain stations for broadcast TV. They will tell you what "format" as well (example: 48k/16bit/Stereo/.aif). Also some stations take 720p Prores HQ and some will not even touch it wit h a 10 foot pole let alone download it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics