Mac Pro or what?

Posted by Loren Miller 
Mac Pro or what?
June 05, 2012 02:31PM
Assuming the fourth of five items reputed to be upgraded by Apple in this week is NOT the Mac Pro, which may signal end-of-life for the world's sexiest tower, what are people using for:

- Final Cut Pro 7
- Premiere Pro 6
- Avid Media Composer 6 ?

I have a feeling some new Wiki FAQ threads will be in order, with recommendations that deal with transitioning either to other Apple systems or to Windows systems.

What machine are you presently working on?
What's your primary editing software?
What kind of storage is attached?
Performance is ...?

- Loren
Re: Mac Pro or what?
June 05, 2012 03:30PM
Remember it's just a rumor what they are saying is coming out. There was an earlier rumor by someone that the Mac Pro will be updated.

Just the thought of working on a windows platform makes me want to projectile vomit.. sorry :-\
June 05, 2012 05:03PM
Based on current offerings its going to be the iMac and MBP. Thunderbolt makes it all possible- especially with new expansion boxes coming to drop in legacy type cards. I'm hoping they would add 1 or 2 more thunderbolt ports here soon, as many devices are end of chain at this point. For an editor that dabbles some in avid, fcp, premiere, after effects, motion, color, resolve- it does a lot of things very well.

My current show I'm using MC6 on an i5 27" iMac, 23" cinema display, thunderbolt to esata for the drives. It has been great for my needs. Lots of transcoding with no problems and good speeds.

However, I think MacPro is not dead. It may experience a severe redesign in size, but it is not going away completely.
June 05, 2012 05:33PM
June 05, 2012 05:38PM
And supposedly, model numbers...

[www.macrumors.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 05, 2012 08:05PM
Good feedback! News is encouraging.

So we should know by June 13th. I do not relish editing on a laptop of any kind. When I have to I always bring a fullsize keyboard.

Best, as always,
Loren
June 05, 2012 11:37PM
Me too. Why would I want to edit on a laptop? I don't want to work on my lap. I have a desk for that.

June 06, 2012 09:00AM
Currently hybrid here. Partially Mac Pro, partially PC but leaning heavily towards PC now. If nothing significant happens next week with the Mac Pro, looks like we'll go PC entirely and get on with life.

Edit/Grade/Key/Mask/Paint/Roto/Keyframe/Animate/Composite on a laptop? Totally agree. You'll go blind.

Next week could well be a defining moment. Very curious to see what Apple comes up with.
June 06, 2012 10:12AM
The answer is "or what" for me...been that way for over 4 years now.

"laptop editing" does not always mean "on the lap" (unless you are on a plane / in an airport / hotel lobby / or somewhere there is no table) smiling smiley. I have been working on the latest MBP every year for quite a while now with the greatest success (my latest one rivals my 8-Core MacPro tower at the studio - and renders faster / no heat or noise generation whatsoever with an SSD Boot Drive)...and yes, wherever I work it's always on a desk with a 24" or 27" second screen and my trusty Wacom Tablet. Doesn't feel "portable" in the least little bit. You can have the bulky power consuming heat generating noisy towers. I like being able to take my main studio (with built-in battery backup) with me in a backpack (Wacom tablet & all) and set up on a folding table on any set - especially outdoors on a golf course / beach / football field (hard to lug a tower around & keep it clean).

I want more powerful Macbook Pros and more Thunderbolt expansion toys. The sky is the limit.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 07, 2012 11:07PM
Joey, you've truly got it nailed.... and all those PCI cards tacked neatly onto the back...

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
June 14, 2012 01:25AM
Looks like Cook has a new Mac pro cooking for 2013, according to David Pogue's unnamed source and also Forbes magazine.

Whoopee! Panic over for now.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at the LAFCPUG Store!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics