WWDC: New version of Final Cut Pro.... they said Pro and not X.. hmm.

Posted by JoeE 
WWDC: New version of Final Cut Pro.... they said Pro and not X.. hmm.
June 11, 2012 01:00PM
I can't tell what this is, never having used FCX before.

[www.tuaw.com]
Re: WWDC: New version of Final Cut Pro.... they said Pro and not X.. hmm.
June 11, 2012 01:05PM
We will hear more later today

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 11, 2012 01:14PM
Also noticed it appears as if a 17" MBP isn't in the cards... at least for today.
June 11, 2012 01:29PM
No Mac Pro either unless upgrade is not enough to be part of the keynote. Will know when Apple store re-opends

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 11, 2012 01:58PM
And no iMac upgrades.... well, at least Maps got turn by turn GPS with real time traffic.
June 11, 2012 02:26PM
Seems like Firewire is dead.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 11, 2012 02:47PM
I am, how do you say, pissed off angry smiley:

* MBP - No 17"
* MBP eliminates FW800
* No onboard DVD
* No ExpressCard 34 Port
* RAM is built-in
* New Magsafe 2 not compatible with Magsafe plug - need adapter for 27" Cinemascreen.
* splits the only 2 USB ports (yes...only 2) to opposite sides of the machine so my Cinemascreen is not usable without another adapter.

I am really starting to dislike Apple.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Now there are new Mac Pros but just speed bumps...
June 11, 2012 02:48PM
Re: Now there are new Mac Pros but just speed bumps...
June 11, 2012 02:51PM
Yeah, not much of an upgrade, eh?

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Now there are new Mac Pros but just speed bumps...
June 11, 2012 03:00PM
No Thunderbolt in the new Mac Pros! Are they for real?
June 11, 2012 03:24PM
In this case adapters are your friend even though a bit costly.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 11, 2012 05:44PM
They will be selling Thunderbolt to FW800 adapters. So yea, for sone devices, you'll need a fw800 to 400 adapter as well. Gotta say that FW800 never really took off. Not sure if you can get a Fw to USB 3 adapter, but I doubt it.

Regarding the Mac Pros, there isn't a PCIe to Thunderbolt adapter in the market, I guess that's because everyone was expecting Apple to roll out new Mac Pros with Thunderbolt. And of course, Apple says that isn't possible as Thunderbolts are supposed to be integrated right into the motherboard, or so they say. There are expresscards to Thunderbolt adapters out there.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 11, 2012 06:40PM
JoeE
I can't tell what this is, never having used FCX before.

FCX? FCP7 was superceded by FCPX, whether you agree it should have that P or not.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
June 11, 2012 07:15PM
Right. And I see now where the update was for X. I never knew that's what it was called. @#$%&. FCS will never be updated for retina display so that new laptop is useless.
June 11, 2012 07:16PM
Blah. Remember when we trusted Apple was going to be revealing something awesome? I used to stay up to see the keynotes. Nowdays it feels like we've been told that Santa isn't real and we're just going to have to deal with our gawky old dad shuffling about drinking the rum, eating the cookies and stuffing a jumper your mum knitted under the tree.

June 11, 2012 08:13PM
Well if you are an Apple iPhone and iPad fan, and like plenty of apps, then Apple seems to be the company for you. But If you want a new Mac Pro with all the new stuff that the MBP has... well who cares!
June 11, 2012 08:24PM
please Apple you have screwed up big time on FCS. You cant come back now. FCP7 will be the best thing you ever made for editing.

Now just give us an Ivy Bridge Macpro that uses nVidia, so you can redeem yourself and we can keep on using Adobe Premier..... i mean..... FCP8 / Final Cut studio 4.

We promise to still hold your cpu's up as the benchmark for all. Other wise ............... die.

The iphone will always be catching up to Android and it will die soon.
The iPad will eventually be matched by Samsung or Motorola.
And almost everything plays mp3,acc,.mov, and many other formats, so the iPod is already not necessary.

Loose your MacPro line and you loose your edge completely. If it were not for pro users you guys would have never been popular anyways.
WWDC is the Alamo for MacPro Users.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 11, 2012 08:41PM
J.Corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Loose your MacPro line and you loose your edge
> completely. If it were not for pro users you guys
> would have never been popular anyways.
> WWDC is the Alamo for MacPro Users.

Apple is not an enterprise company, they are a consumer company. The Mac Pro does not make them any money. The last number I saw it accounted for in the neighborhood of 50,000 sales worldwide (that's just an estimate since Apple doesn't break out the Mac Pro sales individually.)

That's a pittance of the overall money generated by the company last year.

Apple Final Cut Pro X does not really make Apple any money as a software product. It's a giveaway really so folks have to buy a Mac computer if they want to run it, and the Macbook Pro and iMac are two perfect computers to run them.

So Apple loses nothing by dropping the Mac Pro. I'm honestly surprised they didn't just kill off the product line completely today. I think the refreshes of today will allow the product line sales to slow down even more allowing Apple to justify the killing off of the entire product line.

If you read Steve Jobs' Biography, you would have known that the Mac Pro was destined to be left behind. Steve hated Enterprise customers because they dictated to the developers what they needed to operate. Consumers, on the other hand, can be dictated to by Developers and told what they need. Steve much preferred consumers so he could dictate his own terms to them.

So I would be very surprised if there are real updates to the Mac Pro line in the future and the product is allowed to just die off in lieu of the refreshed iMacs which will probably come out in the next few months.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
June 11, 2012 09:04PM
For many years (17) I've used Macs for professional work. Over those years I've convinced many of my friends and family to move to Macs from PC's. And I think in my little corner of the world it had a snowball effect. I think it's been that way for a long time all over the world. Pro users just don't use Macs, they sell the idea of the Mac to the consumers. So Apple, if you don't want to return the favor, then?
June 11, 2012 10:02PM
I have noticed that people who switch to macs normally never go back the other way. The mac os is superior to window x. I would guess that a beefy imac can do anything that a norm workstation pc can so i can see them killing the Macpro based on imac.

However i do not know if an imac can efficiently run 20million polygons with texture, animation and lighting. I am not even sure if it can run Divinci efficiently. Maybe Thundarbolt will be sufficient to run 4k footage in our nle's. I have seen specs that say it doesn't really get 10gbps, but if it gets 5gbps then thats better than fw800 or sata.

I am just not for dropping 4-12 beefy processors cores for mini processors in a laptop. I like 3-4 screens and 2 4bay sata arrays with a few jbod's for light storage. I like having a fiber channel and FW ports. Its nice putting new technology video cards and such in my tower.

The mac store has placed NEW by the Airs, MBPs and Macpros. From what i can tell they just made everything i7 chips. No mention of the E5's and no i7 on the macpros.

But this is all me.. I just want to buy a new one and geek it out. I might push the notion of "C'mon Apple, one more time for your macpro fans". They owe us for messing up FCP.

They can wash their hands after an ivy bridge macpro and i wont complain. I am sure i can get 10years out of an updated 3.2gh Macpro 8core with nVidia compatibility.

If they don't make money then i guess its business sense to kill it off.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 12, 2012 05:28AM
WTF
June 12, 2012 07:33AM
They probably already are working on a redesigned Mac Pro X equivalent. The same thing happened to FCP- a long wait followed by a point 5 upgrade and a price drop.

My guess is Mac Mini form factor but modular and scaleable via thunderbolt.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 12, 2012 11:46AM
Wow, two colonoscopies in one day-- my own... and this! And mine came out much better.

Tepid upgrade for certain. Wonder if Gig-E-to-Thunderbolt is available for my 2009 MP? Wouldn't that be faster than FW 800?

- Loren

Today's Media Composer keytip:
Loop Play In to Out with Control-6 (Alt-6 in Windows)

The Media Composer 6.x KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at
www.neotrondesign.com
June 12, 2012 02:19PM
Thunderbolt to gigE, yes. Does that work on a Mac Pro? No. Is GigE faster than FW800? I don't think so. There are the overheads of the TCP/IP stack.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 12, 2012 04:00PM
I for one am happy that Apple left the MacPro more or less as-is. My model 1,1 has been a good work horse for five years. Since most hard drives are SATA it is sensible to connect external ones by eSATA. eSATA via PCIe card is plenty fast, and eSATA tapped off the mother board allows external booting. Wherefore Thunderbolt cravings? (And couldn't Apple have named it more modestly ePCIe?)

I must replace my MacPro 1,1 firstly because its graphics card works imperfectly under Snow Leopard and there are no new graphics cards that work 100% correctly with the MacPro 1,1. What is lacking in a new MacPro with the ATI Radeon 5770 (or 5870) card?

Also my MacPro 1,1 has a single 4-core processor (1.33 GHz bus; 667MHz memory) and is kinda slow. I expect a new MacPro with two 6-core processors (and faster bus and memory) should speed up rendering by about 3?; please correct me if this is false. Would FCP7 (and various FCS3 applications) run much faster on the dream workstation?

Apple transmogrified technology into shopping. We should consistently resist this. I'm happy that I won't have to go to eBay to hunt for an inflated-price MacPro as others now hunt for FCS3.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
June 12, 2012 10:02PM
Just because its fun, lets wait a year for the new Mac Pro

In an email, Tim Cook tells a user not to worry, ?as we?re working on something really great for later next year.?

Apple confirmed to Macworld that the message is indeed from Cook.

[www.macworld.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 12, 2012 11:38PM
< ?as we?re working on something really great for later next year.? >

They said that about FCPX. Now I'm worried sad smiley
June 13, 2012 10:14AM
Sounds too familiar...Apple also said that FCPX was going to "blow us away". It blew us away alright...right into the Adobe / Avid camps.

June 13, 2012 11:43AM
You can be pretty sure that when they do release that Mac Pro with Thunderbolt there will be no FW 800 ports so all these external drives I have will be almost useless. Guess I will stick to my current MacPro
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 13, 2012 12:08PM
Introducing The Thunderbolt Express Dock (includes FW800 / HDMI ports)...

[techcrunch.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics