SCRATCH DISKS LOST

Posted by medellinemil 
SCRATCH DISKS LOST
June 11, 2012 03:43PM
I hate. I didn't use to, but I've worked with FCP 6.06 and now I hate as a general matter of practice.

I moved my scratch disks - FCP told me to do so, as it was rendering my completed project and needed room to perform such action.

I've thoroughly searched my computer.

I've used free data recovery software.

I've used the original tapes to try and recapture.

Nothing. No good. Hate.

It's a 3.8 GB size project and I know the exact date/time it was saved. Still . . . no luck.
Hate.

Q: Best places in greater L.A. to take my computer, external hard drive, and camera (Canon XL-1 w/tapes) to resolve the issue ?

Detailed Info. :

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

Final Cut Pro 6.06

Thanks,
-Emil
Re: SCRATCH DISKS LOST
June 11, 2012 04:59PM
What exactly is your issue? Did your clips go offline? If you waited until FCP warns you about filling up your Scratch Disk, then there's something wrong with the way you work and you need to pay more attention to your drive space.

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2012 06:39PM
Yes the clips are off line. And yes, there is a major problem with the way I worked - it is (was) my 1st time working with FCP. The issue is that the file(s) is (are) huge - 3.8 GB - yet can not be located - by free software (data rescue II), or apple store FCP 'expert associates', so I reiterate:

Best places in greater L.A. to take my computer, external hard drive, and camera (Canon XL-1 w/tapes) to resolve the issue ?

As recapturing seems to only reproduce 'colorful snow' from the content of the tapes I am tired . . . and hate filled.
June 11, 2012 06:47PM
> I moved my scratch disks - FCP told me to do so, as it was rendering my completed project and needed room to perform such action.

You need to understand FCP's file management.

First of all, you didn't "move" your Scratch Disk. You designated a new location for future files to be sent, but your original media was right where you had left it.

You said your project file is 3.8GB. That's too large; you should have been managing it as you went. But that actually doesn't have anything to do with the media. I still can't tell whether you have lost your project file, or whether you have media (clips) offline. The clips would be far larger than 3.8GB, and would not have a uniform file size.

If it's just the project file, you should have been doing manual backups. The second safeguard is the Autosave Vault. Do a system search for that exact term and find it.

If all your media is actually missing, I'd guess your storage drive has died. You don't fill up a drive to more than 90 per cent full, and if you do (sounds like you did, if you got an FCP disk-space warning), it's liable to blow at any second. Run Disk Utility and DiskWarrior on the drive and see if you can recover it.

My suggestion to you is to stop everything you're doing. You're not familiar enough with FCP organization and could make the problem worse with the things you try. Hire an experienced FCP troubleshooter/assistant editor/editor and have them look through your system.

www.derekmok.com
June 11, 2012 08:25PM
I tried the autosave vault initially. Thanks for the advice - any people / places around town (los angeles) you would suggest if Disc Utility and / or Disc Warrior do not work. Thanks again.

-Emil
June 12, 2012 04:53PM
Here is a straight answer to your question.

Go to:

Brian Cometa. 323 230 0622.

$300 flat fee per drive data recovery. If he can't recover it, you don't pay.

brian@300dollardatarecovery.com.

www.300dollardatarecovery.com.

He's a young guy working out of his apartment in North Hollywood which is crammed with gear. He is polite and efficient. He gets it done.

It worked for me.

Best,

Harry.
June 12, 2012 05:09PM
medellinemil ,

I think before you spend your money you should really listen to Derek first. When you "moved your scratch disks" what exactly did you do?
June 13, 2012 11:47AM
His media is there..somewhere...I doubt he knows just where to look and unless the drive has totally crashed, a knowledgeable FCP editor should be able to find it.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 13, 2012 02:28PM
medellinemil,

You could do a search for the footage. Let's say you captured your footage to .mov, you could search all your drives for footage with with that file extention. You'll have to wade through the results but in the end you'll at least know if your footage is on any of your drives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics