Blu-Ray out of FCP

Posted by Nick Meyers 
Blu-Ray out of FCP
June 15, 2012 11:12PM
I made my first Blu-Ray out of FCP the other day.
very simple, took a long time (107 minutes of ProresLT 720P took 8Hrs or so) and looked great.

we burnt a couple of disks, then stopped.

now i still have the ac3 and BluRay.264 files.
is there anything i can do with those? specifically burn another BD.

i have FCP, of course, and Toast11
we also have access to AdobeCS5, but simpler is better for me

in a related question, i can't find any items in Compressor that are specifically for creating .264 files for BD.
are they hidden?
if they do not exist can i modify an H.264 setting?

thanks,
nick
Re: Blu-Ray out of FCP
June 16, 2012 02:46PM
Hi, Nick -

I burned my first BD last fall, using Toast 11- a doc feature for a Miami Becah theater premiere. Looked beautiful. Took about 3 hours-- so I don;t know what's up there.

Tried FCP Share which choked, and Compressor had nothing. iDVD is useless for BD and DVD Studio Pro doesn't support it.

You should be able to reburn using those generated files in Toast. If you saved the Toast project file it should link to them as assets.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 17, 2012 11:49AM
I don't think there are specific items for Blu-ray creation in Compressor, so you would need to modify and create your own presets.

This may help:

June 17, 2012 04:43PM
Nick Meyers
...i can't find any items in Compressor that are specifically for creating .264 files for BD.
are they hidden? if they do not exist can i modify an H.264 setting?

You can make the setting entirely within Compressor: Settings > '+' > H.264 for Blu-ray.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
June 18, 2012 09:10AM
Thank you, Joe! This very nicely uncovers the Blu-Ray capability of Compressor. I will give it a try.

But if I use Toast, it's all there -- burns the disc with one of their canned themes, no jumping from app to app.

For authoring in Encore, I guess this is the ticket. But it took me a week to gain workable knowledge of DVDSP, I don't have time for Encore training! All I need is a simple interface to deliver the content, and Toast offers it.

So now we have choices. Choice is good.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Cycle bin views with Shift - H !!

The FCS PowerPack with FCP7 -
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
June 19, 2012 09:18AM
Never tried toast, would that be quicker than using Media Encoder or Compressor to create the blu ray files?
June 19, 2012 08:59PM
I have been using compressor to create blu-ray .264 (Video) with ac3 (Audio) files I have brought them in to Adobe Encore in CS4 and now thanks to Adobe, CS6 it has worked great. Encore has a small learning curve and I find it to be very similar to DVD Studio pro. I haven't done it but I believe that Encore will encode the video as well.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
June 19, 2012 09:34PM
< I haven't done it but I believe that Encore will encode the video as well. >

Yes, Encore will encode the video also. No need to do it somewhere else. Plus you have Photoshop to build your custom made menus. Encore and Photoshop work very well together.
June 20, 2012 02:49PM
FCP's "Share..." option is sufficient for making simple blu-ray disks. It will choose a blu-ray-allowed resolution and quality for the H.264. If you wish to modify this then choose "Send to Compressor" within Share. In any case it is FCP, not Compressor, that makes the blu-ray directory and file structure. If you chose "Hard Drive" to receive the blu-ray you get an .img file from FCP (in addition to the .264 and .ac3). You can then use Disk Utility make discs from the .img.

I save the .img rather than the .264 and .ac3. Two blu-rays made from the same .img using different burning software sure to be identical. Are two blu-rays made from the same .264 and .ac3 using different "muxing" software as sure to be identical?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
June 21, 2012 08:29AM
Thanks, folks.

Loren: maybe i'll try Toast soon, see what it's like. it's still an after-hours process for us with pretty much only one system, but 3hrs is better than 8 smiling smiley

Thanks for the tute, Joe.

dcouzin
You can make the setting entirely within Compressor: Settings > '+' > H.264 for Blu-ray.
that's great! i didnt know about that. now i do. now i can make a custom BD setting & add a watermark if i need to.

and thanks for the .img reminder.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics