Tricaster mpeg2 files

Posted by Andrew Kines 
Tricaster mpeg2 files
June 18, 2012 10:49AM
I was helping someone with this over the weekend and couldn't find an adequate solution.

They live streamed a one hour fund raising classical music performance using 3 cameras mixed through a Tricaster. At the end they dumped out an mpeg2 file roughly 100GB in size.
That file chokes everything that tries to play it. Recompressing anything but the entire file in Compressor3 or Sorenson Squeeze just beachballs until you have to force quit. Doing the whole file at once takes a while and the ProRes file that we got out of Squeeze starts roughly 40 frames out of sync and gets worse.

MPEG Streamclip doesn't see it at all.

QT reports the file as being 1280x720, 60FPS and muxed. We were able to get an mpeg4 at a low rez out that stays in sync but it's not much use for anything but screening.

We tried it on a 2011 Mac that reported 16cores and my older 8core from 2010 with 18G RAM.

Anyone ever run into this kind of mpeg2 file?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Tricaster mpeg2 files
June 18, 2012 10:57AM
Never had to use a Tricaster output - read on their site that you should install the Apple MPEG2 component for Quicktime if you want to edit with their files.

[www.newtek.com]

[www.apple.com]

I would have thought if you are on a FCS system you'd have int installed already though as I thought it was part of DVDSP.

Might be worth e-mailing NewTek direct and asking them?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 18, 2012 11:32AM
Have you tried splitting the file up into smaller chunks? Muxed media is tricky if MPEG Streamclip can't see it.

www.derekmok.com
June 18, 2012 10:29PM
Maybe download a trial of Premiere Pro CS6 and export it out of that. PP can play most anything these days.

June 19, 2012 01:29AM
In fact, I just now got some placeholder footage that was mp4 which MPEG Streamclip said it couldn't prepare, dropped it in PP6 and exported as ProRes for FCP without a hitch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics