FCP 7 DEATH KNELL Canon Mark III, L and T wont work. Keeps crashing, loaded EOS plugin 1.3

Posted by Ethan 
L and T crashes, its beach ball city every time I try and ingest the 5d MArk III footage.

Ive loaded the latest Canon plugin, have we reached the FCP death point already.

My cards have all been given to me as drive images, I have the cards too but their not working either. I've seen post about i frames versus IPB frames on TUCOWS. 5DtoRGB seems to work, but that could be a painful resolution for a feature length project.

Any suggestions, I looked over at Digital Rebellion to see if they'd encountered this they are usually ahead of the curve but I didn't see anything.
So i guess its just not compatible in i frame mode. It seems its not totally compatible with 5D2RGB either as that program can't see the time code. Although I am working with the light version. Which complains the TMP, file that has the metadata repeated in it isn't to be found.

Im giving MPEG streamclip a shot, that program has saved my ass SO many times. What will we do without it.
Nope MPEG streamclip isnt seeing timecode either. Weh weh
I don't own a 5D MkIII but I try to obtain test footage for new cameras that come out and the 5D MkIII files I received just seemed to be H.264s with timecode tracks built in. The timecode tracks are standard QT timecode tracks and were successfully recognized by QuickTime Player 7 and QT Edit.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
You are absolutely correct, but they are H264 files, so a no go for editing. The all interframe mode is not compatible with L&T, so no go there just Beachballs. MPEG streamclip and 5D2RGB both look for the THM file for T.C. or at least 5D2RGB does, either way neither see T.C.

I'm looking at re-wrapping the file for one, and also going to try using Squeeze which I now own from purchasing Avid because FCP is EOL.

Thank you for pitching in, if anything comes to mind please mention it.

Well Squeeze and Clipwrap were no help. I am SOL. Im going to have to manually force timecode.
I just did a test with Compressor and converted a 5D MkIII clip to ProRes 422. The resulting file contained a timecode track and the values were correct in QuickTime Player and FCP 7.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Ok now to confirm, this was a I frame mode clip or was it an IBP frame clip. Because the former makes FCP, Compressor and Avid Lock up. So knowing its me its just me is part of the solution.

And I'm supposed to receive an IBP clip today to confirm. Maybe you could send me your test clip. If that's amenable Ill send you a link to my Yousendit acct.
I unfortunately have no knowledge of how it was created and there's no info in the metadata but you may be right that it's IBP.

My software:
More tools...
Thanks for sending the file, Compressor crashed. So now I have to ask, what versions of OS you have and version of Compressor?
I am running OS X 10.6.8 and I ran that on Compressor 3.5.3. I just did a test in Compressor 4 too and that worked fine.

My software:
More tools...
I used Digital Rebellions crash analyser, and tracked it to Perian. I updated Perian and I appear to be in business. Thank You.
Good catch. Perian is handy, but it can mess with Avid AMA as well. I've uninstalled it. It's EOL anyway.

- Justin Barham -
Fcp is EOL too. I'm glad you mentioned, it messing with Avid though. Because Avid was crashing on import as well. I'll try it again since the update of Perian, and if it doesn't work I'll disable Perian and se if it helps. I really wanted to cut this show on Avid, but the director wanted to stck with where his comfort was.
Perian!! The bain of Quicktime.... over and over I hear this.

Very instructive thread. Surprised Clipwrap (or the mor fully-featured Voltaic HD) couldn't help you, interframe or intraframe.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics