24 frame Inquiry

Posted by rickman 
24 frame Inquiry
July 16, 2012 01:31PM
Hi folks,
Let me know if this needs to be posted elswhere.

Getting ready to do a short that has no chance of ever seeing a big screen. Just big tvs and internet
Lots of talk here about moving from 24 to 30 frames.
I think the camera - Pana Lumix -will do either. So, should we shoot it at 24 or 30 frames?
Am I missing something magical about 24 frames?
I mean, since it won't be viewed in 24 why bother?

thanks,
Rick

any suggestions for a good forum on studio hardware advice?
Re: 24 frame Inquiry
July 16, 2012 02:53PM
The accepted truth is that 23.97 "looks/feels" more filmic. Many of Hollywood's hottest guys are experimenting with higher frames rates though, so.... that canard is going away.

Theres a pretty good Vlog the Drew Report or something, He talks about the various hacks and settings. Here is an epi:

July 16, 2012 04:33PM
The other thing is that there are less frames to encode in 23.976 fps than there is in 29.97 fps. This means the bit rate can contribute towards sharper pictures especially on low bit rate web formats.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 16, 2012 07:16PM
Wow, have to say, including a shot of yourself surrounded by half dressed girls at the head of your professional vlog, IMHO, makes you a dick.

July 16, 2012 08:15PM
rickman, shooting at 24 frames per sec means shooting 24 progressive frames per second. But shooting at 30 frames per sec can mean two very different things: 30 progressive frames per second or 60 interlaced fields per second. Which do you mean? If you mean the latter then there is a huge difference between shooting at 24 frames per sec and shooting at 30 frames per sec. If you mean the former the difference is minor.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
July 17, 2012 02:45PM
Jude-

I'm sure Drew paid for every one of them! lol

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 17, 2012 04:57PM
Thanks for replying all,

At the risk of sounding ignorant - maybe too late -
Am I missing something in regards to the export and playback?
Right, I understand the difference of 24 and 30p when shooting.
I like the comment of "fewer" frames to encode at 24.
However, I was under the impression that all the digital whiz bang flat screens are still displaying or viewing at 30p.
Am I wrong about that?
And if they are, will i not lose resolution when the editor app has to generate 6 extra frames from 24 frame footage?
I obviously don't understand how the edit program "creates" those frames.

Bottom line - I want the best image at export as I can get. If shooting at 24 will give me that regardless of how its exported, then that's what we will do.

Thanks
July 17, 2012 07:03PM
Loren - don't doubt it in the least. winking smiley

July 17, 2012 07:18PM
indeed! Thankfully no one in this group... I don't think.

Rick wrote -
[Bottom line - I want the best image at export as I can get. If shooting at 24 will give me that regardless of how its exported, then that's what we will do. ]

People are doing it all the time now. Yes, the new flats know how to resolve interlaced video, they have an engine for it, but everything today is shot progressive, single frames, not fields, so the quality remains high at the lower frame rate and gives mor eof a "film look." It's technically called 23.98 or 23.976 fps because this number divides cleanly with 29.97 classic NTSC upon playback.

The way I see it, less frames to process the better, and the amount of information held in one progressive frame approximates the amount held in two fields of interlaced.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics