Successful iMac Configuration for Multi-Tasking Station

Posted by J.Corbett 
Successful iMac Configuration for Multi-Tasking Station
July 19, 2012 09:04PM
I am still waiting to see if there will be an Nvidia compatible, Thunderbolt ready MacPro. However in the even that there isn't one in January2012......

Has any one configured an iMac that can:

1. sata or thundarbolt to a external raid (or some heavy data transfer connection)
2. Sync 2 screens while running a MXo mini/max to an IPS monitor
3. Run C4D, Ae, Premier, FCP7 and PS simultaneously
4. Run Devinci Resolve
5. Encode at the speed of a 3.0 quad
6. connected to a audio i/o of some type ( or have as good of a audio out as the 2012 westmere)

If all i have to choose from is iMac i need to know what is the best way to go about it.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Successful iMac Configuration for Multi-Tasking Station
July 19, 2012 09:53PM
Did you ever look at what OWC offers? They can configure an iMac with a eSTSA port. Plus some other upgrades.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac
July 20, 2012 12:17PM
Thats a nice way to go. Wish i could get them to rebuild my 1,1 system as a 6core 3.33ghz. 1333mhz ram with the firmware for nvidia 5xx series, but its a pipe dream.

Both of my systems are getting old MacPro 1,1 and MacPro 2,1. They do what i need with no speed complaints but the hardware and firmware is becoming out darted, and its looking more and more like the MacPro is dead as a line from Apple. They are on 5,1 still. I wish they would make just one more that is nvidia friendly, usb3.0 and thunderbolt.

I am seriously considering just buying the newest 6core without Sandy/Ivy bridge and hoping i can get 7-10 years out of it. This is a bad position for Mac based artist.

Are you waiting also or have you written a new MacPro off?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
July 20, 2012 12:26PM
J.Corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
We have a brand new 27" iMac with 32GB of RAM from OWC currently in production cutting a documentary.

> Has any one configured an iMac that can:
>
> 1. sata or thundarbolt to a external raid (or some
> heavy data transfer connection)

We are connected to our Small Tree Communications 48TB SAN via 1Gig Ethernet though we can step that up to 10gig if we ever need it. Been cutting via ethernet for the past 5 or 6 years now across all our workstations and it's been great so far.

> 2. Sync 2 screens while running a MXo mini/max to
> an IPS monitor

We're running a Dell 24" secondary display and as soon as we get our AJA IoXT in the shop, we'll be running that.

> 3. Run C4D, Ae, Premier, FCP7 and PS
> simultaneously

We run Premiere Pro / PS simultaneously all the time. Not sure why you would want to run all of that at the same time, but I don't see why you can't. After Effects renders are quite snappy with this unit, on par with our 8 Core Mac Pros.

> 4. Run Devinci Resolve

I have it installed on my 2 year old iMac at home and it runs very well. I'm sure the new one will work even better, but since we don't have our thunderbolt BMD product yet, no point.

> 5. Encode at the speed of a 3.0 quad

Depends on what you're encoding. I'm getting about the same speed as our 8 Core Mac Pro right now via the new 27" iMac.

> 6. connected to a audio i/o of some type ( or have
> as good of a audio out as the 2012 westmere)

As I said, the AJA IoXT is coming.

>
> If all i have to choose from is iMac i need to
> know what is the best way to go about it.

27" iMac with the fastest processors, then order the 32GB RAM kit from OWC and off you go. It's working so well I have three of my Mac Pros for sale and am replacing all with the 27" iMac.

Here's a series of articles I've written about the iMacs.

[www.biscardicreative.com]

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2012 12:36PM
The Mac Pro I have is a 1,1 also. I upgraded the graphics card to the ATI 5770, which I got to work with FCPX. I just use X for quick projects. I went to PPro CS6 for everything else. With the ATI 5770 I can turn on the mercury playback engine in CS6 by doing an easy hack. Play back is not a problem with it on. So far it's real time. It just does't work that way in After Effects. You can't turn it on.

There was a press release by Apple saying that they are coming out with a new Mac Pro sometime in 2013. [www.macrumors.com]

What pisses me off about Apple is that you and I can't update to Mountain Lion. It's not because our Mac Pros does not have a 64-bit processor. It's because they won't make an update to the 32-bit kernel to 64-bit. I have read that some people came up with a hack to make a Mac Pro 1,1 run on Mountain Lion. So I bet a hack with be coming to a website near you...
July 20, 2012 12:58PM
Russ Blaise Wrote:

> There was a press release by Apple saying that
> they are coming out with a new Mac Pro sometime in
> 2013.
> [www.macrumors.com]
> rson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-
> coming-in-2013/
>

Not necessarily a Mac Pro. The words used were "something great for later in 2013." You can interpret that as you see fit.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2012 01:52PM
Yeah, I hear ya. Something great from Apple could mean a disaster is coming to Mac users.
July 20, 2012 01:53PM
Yep, just remember, Final Cut Pro X is awesome according to the late great Steve Jobs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2012 03:48PM
walter
Yep, just remember, Final Cut Pro X is awesome according to the late great Steve Jobs.

It was a typo. He meant to say that FCPX was arson, which i totally agree with.

I use FCP8 or premier pro cs5 and some call it. It has taken about 70% of the jobs over the last 4-5 months. I outfitted it with the red giant ultimate suite and boris. It made it more fun than ever.

If they do not come with the MacPro update i will be jumping on a super beefy imac like yours.
Whats the system profile of the macs you are selling?

Russ
The Mac Pro I have is a 1,1 also. I upgraded the graphics card to the ATI 5770, which I got to work with FCPX. I just use X for quick projects. I went to PPro CS6 for everything else. With the ATI 5770 I can turn on the mercury playback engine in CS6 by doing an easy hack. Play back is not a problem with it on. So far it's real time. It just does't work that way in After Effects. You can't turn it on.

I have seen this hack in some forums. I am probably gonna do it after i upgrade to cs6 and lion. The 1,1 was a wedge model only 3 operating systems, as far as i know, work on it. (leopard, snow leopard and lion). If they do upgrade the mac pro i hope they make it ready for the next 5 OS versions starting @ mountain lion.

""""
July 20, 2012 03:52PM
The Mac Pros are all listed on the blog. I may be adding a few more pieces of gear in the near future, still weighing what we're doing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 20, 2012 09:00PM
I just found this article. Its has Tim Cook directly quoted.

[www.forbes.com]

""""
July 20, 2012 09:35PM
Okay, I did read that when it came out. I just couldn't find it again. He does say, Mac Pro.
July 20, 2012 10:15PM
Hey Walter, does the XMP implementation let you import media that already has log notes into another PPro project and still keep the log notes?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 21, 2012 03:52AM
strypes:

I believe that all metadata in premier is project sensitive in reference to notes.

""""
July 21, 2012 06:30AM
strypes Wrote:
> Hey Walter, does the XMP implementation let you
> import media that already has log notes into
> another PPro project and still keep the log notes?

I'm not sure about just importing the Media alone, but if you bring a bin from another project over you keep all the notes.

Now in Prelude, I believe that for sure keeps all the notes attached to the media.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 21, 2012 06:33AM
Russ Blaise Wrote:
> Okay, I did read that when it came out. I just
> couldn't find it again. He does say, Mac Pro.

Really? Where? Here's the quote.

"Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn?t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today?s event, don?t worry as we?re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today."

He says they didn't have a chance to talk about the Mac Pro but don't worry we're working on something really great for later next year. What exactly is that something great? A Mac Pro? An Improved Mini? A bigger iMac?

He didn't use the words, "We're working on a great new Mac Pro for next year."

If you can find a different quote where Tim Cook actually uses the words, "A new Mac Pro in 2013" I'd love to see that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 21, 2012 06:45AM
In the metadata panel in PPro, there is a chain icon next to some of the logging columns. Clicking the chain icon writes the properties of that column to the XMP files. So the metadata is stored in both the project and in the media. The XMP is either embedded within the media file or stored as a sidecar file next to the media. (of course, I'm not sure what happens to that data if the media volume doesnt have write permissions. So in theory, when you import media that has been logged in another PPro project, the logging data should stick to the media.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 21, 2012 11:01AM
< If you can find a different quote where Tim Cook actually uses the words, "A new Mac Pro in 2013" I'd love to see that. >

Watler, you must of missed this one that J. Corbett posted:

www.forbes.com

That was the one I was referring to.
July 21, 2012 01:16PM
LOL...Thats true. He gave a politician answer when you look at it like that. It could be misleading and playing on our hopes of a wonderful machine.

Even if its iMac w/ a 30 inch screen and a quad 3.33, I am gonna have to go for it because i would have been forced at gun point to leave the MacPro.

My imac at the cabin is a 21 inch 2.4ghz and it has an nvidia card but i am not sure if it auto-magically applies the cuda to mercury or if i have to set it. It does not perform quite like my 1,1 or 2,1.

I will give Tim Cook a lap dance if he does a new MacPro, which might not be the best incentive. Maybe we can get Jude to give the lap dance. lol

""""
July 21, 2012 01:57PM
Okay, on a side note regarding xmp metadata... I did some tests. Yes, if you log the clip in PP, and click on the chain icon, it writes the specified fields (log notes, descriptions, tape names, etc) to the clip or the sidecar xmp file. And when you import the media file into another PP project, the xmp metadata gets imported along with the clip.

However, if you make a change to the field, the xmp file will be updated, however, the log notes in the original folder will not be updated because Premiere doesn't seem to read the xmp file except when you are importing the media.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 24, 2012 02:40PM
Its not reading it because that is not the project you are working on. You have introduced that file to a new project and now that projects metadata is what your are forming.

Look at the same file in media info or a metadata reader.

Project Sensitive.

""""
July 24, 2012 04:44PM
The exciting thing about it is that the metadata stays with the clip, so if you have logged your clips, you can just import the file and all that logging and metadata gets imported into the new project. That's cool. What's also cool is that when PPro improves their offline/online workflow, you can re-link to the high resolution clips and because the metadata is also stored in the project file, you dont lose your logging data or clip metadata.

Problem with PPro not resolving conflicts with XMP metadata with the project, is that if you logged a shot wrongly, or worse, gave the wrong tape/reel name to the clip, you cannot easily resolve the problem without changing all the reel names in all the projects. And I can see how this would create problems when working with other finishing machines.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics