Re: The Mountain, Moved...

Posted by strypes 
July 25, 2012 03:04PM
July 25, 2012 03:13PM
If there's one thing Apple has taught us, it's that all cats are born as bugs.

www.derekmok.com
July 25, 2012 04:54PM
...and you can't install it on a Mac Pro 1,1... and a few others sad smiley
July 25, 2012 06:13PM
I was trying to download the installer on a MacPro 1,1, as I have faster Internet connection on that machine, and it just won't let me.

Funny thing about the ML upgrade, is that Adobe is recommending it as of right now, within 24 hours of its release. Given the past history of OS releases, this seems strange. Avid, on the other hand has qualified neither this version nor the last version of Lion.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 25, 2012 07:23PM
Stryes, it won't let you. Are you getting a warning of some kind?

Here is something a friend sent me on installing ML on a Mac Pro:

9to5mac.com
July 26, 2012 03:44PM
Yea, the dialogue box popped up and said I can't install ML on that machine. So yea, I can't download the installer on a Mac Pro 1,1.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 26, 2012 04:18PM
I believe you must have a 64 bit machine. Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 are 32 bit only machines. We found that out with Avid MC6 not being able to install on our lone Mac Pro 1,1 machine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 26, 2012 05:39PM
The Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1 have 64-bit processors. It's the kernel that is 32-bit. The hack that I linked fools the computer to make it think it's a Mac Pro 3,1 I believe. It must add the 64-bit kernel in someway, or make it think it does. I'm not a computer tech guru by any stretch of the imagination. But people are reporting that they were able to get the hack to work on the early developers version of ML. I'm going to wait awhile and see what people are reporting with this version of ML. I'm working on a big book project right now, and I'm moving across the country in September. So I don't want to kill my computer right now.

I didn't realize that MC6 would not install on a Mac Pro 1,1. Glad I didn't go that way. I bet it will be that way with CS7, and an upcoming version of FCPX.
July 26, 2012 05:44PM
I was only trying to download the installer, as that 1,1 machine had wired internet access, whereas my laptop was running off wifi.

Anyway, got it installed. Mercury seems to like ML better. No kernel panics on OpenCL like in Lion. On the whole, it seems good, and ML certainly got rid of the slow menu bar loading issue in Lion. Never liked Lion. I had to install Lion because of MC6 and CS6, and I only got onto it during the .3 release, and I spent half the time configuring it to work like SL, and the other half of the time trying to fix installation issues, like patchy permissions, SUDO not working, etc...

This time, the Apple developers seemed to have put quite some thought into this release. Glad to get out of Lion. Adobe support right from Day 1! Way to go!

www.strypesinpost.com
July 26, 2012 06:16PM
I found that my Mac Pro 1,1 boots really fast on Lion. I haven't had really any issues. Maybe I got lucky!
July 26, 2012 06:55PM
Strypes, have you got FCP7 on that machine? I'm 50/50 FCP7 and PPCS6 now, and I could probably easily switch entirely to PP, but I don't want to upgrade if I'm not sure how FCP7 will go, for my complicated archival clients still in the loop. Is it stable?

July 26, 2012 08:26PM
As a general disclaimer, wait a few weeks to install any new OS releases. Better still, wait for the .1 release.

That said, no issues on ML in my last few hours on it. There seems to be less permissions issues in ML than on Lion. No strange SUDO permissions problems, no laggy menu bar. PPro seems stable now with OpenCL. No kernel panics so far. Safari 6 is very fast. There is strange new tool Dictation and Speech to play with. It remembers all the customization you did in Lion. I'm starting to like ML already, especially after that wreck that was Lion.

FCP loads, and everything seems fine on the outset. I'll be porting yet another half hour show over to FCP from PP. Not sure if that is a measure of stability in FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 29, 2012 04:25AM
That's encouraging.

Now if I can get the tower fixed due to the ubiquitous power up failure I've now had for the second time..
I might just install 10.8 !

- L
July 29, 2012 11:13PM
They have removed activity window from Safari. Not cool!

www.strypesinpost.com
July 29, 2012 11:44PM
So there is now the new "Develop" menu in Safari that replaces the old activity window.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 30, 2012 12:18AM
"Develop" isn't new, goes back to V 4.x or earlier-- Prefs option under Advanced.

But I would miss the Activity as well-- in Mion there is a small upper right icon showing download activity and when you click it you get the Activity window--- this is gone?

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
July 30, 2012 11:53AM
That's the Downloads window. The downloads window is still there. But unlike Lion, you can't option double click the video stream and have it download the video. You can download video streams in the Develop menu, but it's a little bit more complicated.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 30, 2012 11:54AM
And yea, another name for Mountain Lion, is the Cougar. No prizes for guessing why Apple didn't use Cougar... eye popping smiley

www.strypesinpost.com
July 30, 2012 07:38PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have removed activity window from Safari. Not
> cool!

They have removed RSS too, double not cool. Also super wide tabs. ugh. What's going on at Apple?
July 30, 2012 07:48PM
There is at least a trick to save your RSS feeds n ML.

[9to5mac.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 31, 2012 04:14PM
So what? You should really announce when the next iteration is out. Before that, it's just "iCrash". There is a BIG CHUNK OF APPS that are not clear to run on it:

[roaringapps.com]

No thanks...not yet for me. Guinea pigs...have at it and report back with the crash reports thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 01, 2012 03:33AM
Joey, I have upgraded to ML already. Been wanting to get the hell out of Lion.

Most of the incompatible softwares are outdated and many are obsolete. Read on that list that X11 is not compatible. I'll check on that later.

Premiere is a whole lot more stable with Mercury Playback on my 2011 MBP. However, there is one bug on the reconnection of AvcHD in PPro, where the clip will not reconnect, so yea, that's about it for now.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 01, 2012 01:35PM
This might be of interest to some who still own old mac pros

How I installed Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on my 2006 MacPro 1,1

[www.jabbawok.net]

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 01, 2012 05:16PM
You can use this to put back the RSS button that Apple removed.

[calum.me]

www.strypesinpost.com
August 01, 2012 05:40PM
Okay, X11 is not installed in ML. Apple has a doc on it:

[support.apple.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
August 01, 2012 07:14PM
> Also super wide tabs. ugh. What's going on at Apple?

What's wrong with the wide tabs? You can toggle between the tabs with the same commands as in FCP 7.

If there's one feature that I wish Apple will bring back is that expose/hot corners will show you all windows. I work between apps a lot, and I used to toggle between multiple windows and apps by revealing all windows and actually seeing the contents of the windows. I can't stand Mission Control, because it doesn't do that.

Admittedly, I liked the old Safari layout, where on launch, I can quickly hit tab to enter a URL, or hit tab again to do a search. Safari 6 is slower for users in this regard.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 02, 2012 09:50AM
[> Also super wide tabs. ugh. What's going on at Apple?]

These are the last products that really knew Steve Jobs.

Excuse me, more ice-encased Coney Island structures to excavate...

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
DM
August 06, 2012 10:52AM
I hope they changed and fixed the Preview application. Apple screwed it up in Lion. What a confusing app. They screwed up a perfectly simple program along with the reverse scrolling feature? If it wasn't for certain apps like Pro tools 10 and MC 6, I'd go back to Leopard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics