Moire filter or technique for post?

Posted by TroyChristian 
Moire filter or technique for post?
August 11, 2012 03:48PM
Trying to remove some Moire from some 7D footage. Some of it is major pink and green Moire while other is more subtle. Trying few things but no luck yet - (blur e.g.)
Any suggestions? (Joe - this was clearly not shot with the filter you recommended ages ago)

FCP7.0.3
OSX10.6.8
Re: Moire filter or technique for post?
August 11, 2012 08:51PM
Try doubling the footage to V2 and reducing the contrast in the bad places with a mask. It's thin lines with high contrast that cause the worst problems.

August 11, 2012 09:03PM
Thanks - I already did the double on V2 but didn't try the contrast ... thanks!!
August 14, 2012 10:38AM
Sorry Troy....I screwed myself on my very first major 7D shoot with horrific moire. Could not fix in post. I ended up treating the footage "way over the top" as "behind the scenes / damaged" footage with Magic Bullet Looks tricks. Could not use it straight. This came from shooting in 720p. I ONLY shoot 1080p out of my 7D now and the moire is minimal.

You could try this DSLR FCP filter...but it makes everything soft:

[colorbyjorg.wordpress.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 14, 2012 06:34PM
Thanks Joe - I'll try it.

I shot in 1080 AND even did tests beforehand - had the actor put the shirt on and move around, ingested and watched playback on 2 separate monitors. It just happened that in few very specific lighting situations it appears.
Fortunately, because of the nature of the short film and the performances, not a single person - even filmmakers - have noticed.
Unfortunately, I am a perfectionist and I notice. :/

Thx for the suggestion - I'll get back to you with the result ...

Troy
August 14, 2012 06:55PM
no such luck Joe - but thx!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics