Juz Starting

Posted by Eric Yambao 
Juz Starting
July 17, 2001 09:02AM
<HTML>Hello!!

I just got a G4 733 mhz 256 Mb System and a DVMC-DA2 Sony Media converter (No DV cam yet).

I want to get into FCP and wondering if someone can point me or advice me on what hardware I would be needing to start off.

Is the Matrox RT Mac a good choice?
What hardisk is best?

Eric</HTML>
Re: Juz Starting
July 17, 2001 11:00AM
<HTML>Hey guy,
Take this advice lightly. I don't have the Matrox Card, nor do I know anyone that has it. But, I have read a lot about it and I know with the system you have, there is no need for that card unless your doing projects that need to be completed very quickly. The Matrox Card will cut your rendering time down big time, but I have a system that is a lot slower than yours and I have no problem at all waiting a few extra seconds for things to render.</HTML>
July 17, 2001 11:01AM
<HTML>Hey guy,
Take this advice lightly. I don't have the Matrox Card, nor do I know anyone that has it. But, I have read a lot about it and I know with the system you have, there is no need for that card unless your doing projects that need to be completed very quickly. The Matrox Card will cut your rendering time down big time, but I have a system that is a lot slower than yours and I have no problem at all waiting a few extra seconds for things to render. Eric Yambao wrote:
>
> Hello!!
>
> I just got a G4 733 mhz 256 Mb System and a DVMC-DA2 Sony
> Media converter (No DV cam yet).
>
> I want to get into FCP and wondering if someone can point me
> or advice me on what hardware I would be needing to start off.
>
> Is the Matrox RT Mac a good choice?
> What hardisk is best?
>
>
> Eric</HTML>
July 17, 2001 01:30PM
<HTML>Thanks for the advice.</HTML>
July 17, 2001 01:38PM
<HTML>Eric,

Well that can be a big question. First off what is it that you wan't to do are you going to be doing home movies, doc's or shorts and features? If you are just starting out I would learn final cut pro first and try not to get wowed by all the technology and hardware. It all boils done to telling stories anyway. Learning FCP should keep you tied down for awhile. When you figure out what you want to do all the toys will come. If you go out now you will probably by stuff you don't need and wast money. I know its hard to not get into the STUFF because I am a total tech head. But I realized no matter how much pro stuff I had I still had to tell a story. Good luck.

Ruben</HTML>
July 17, 2001 01:50PM
<HTML>You're right...I know I should be doing the learning process first. It just excites me to have cool stuffs like being able to render in realtime.

I will be doing wedding videos and some training videos for the office for the most part.

I'll take your advice and move up as my needs arise.

Thanks</HTML>
July 17, 2001 04:29PM
<HTML>Good advice... telling a story and learning FCP first is ggod advice indeed, which brings me to another question... "How does one learn the 'art' of the 'edit', the 'art' of telling the story?

I recently returned from an expedition to Guyana, in South America, and have some great footage of the trip and want to put something together to record what we did and how we did it. I have FCP at work, and am proficient with the basics, cross fades, rolling edits, etc. Most of it gleaned from here and similar web sites, but what few of them seem to give is a commentary on how the prefessionals actualy go about putting an edit together... what are they looking for? What kind of points in a video clip make good transitions... how do they 'manage' all those clips?...

Anyone got any pointers to sites? Books? Reference materials? Or is that stuff all just 'raw' talent? :-)</HTML>
Great book...(and cheap)
July 18, 2001 05:22PM
<HTML>[www.amazon.com]
-Great book. I just finished it and really enjoyed it. And I'm just an actor learning FCP to enhance "putting up my own stuff".
The 4 year old DV storage/price problems section in the last chapter are very funny as well.

Enjoy,
Lipp</HTML>
<HTML>Hey Lipp
This looks real interesting. Care to give us a mini review?

mike</HTML>
Greg
July 20, 2001 07:57PM
<HTML>Ram 256K more - go to 512k you can't use virtual memory with FCP</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics