How to create master for theatres

Posted by shelleyrae 
How to create master for theatres
September 13, 2012 11:24AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a documentary that will be played on the Internet, in theatres and will also be available on DVD. I have a few questions:

1) How do I create a master for theatres? What do I supply the theatre with? A Quicktime File? A DVD?

2) There are several lower thirds. I want to make sure they look good and are not cut off no matter where they are played. If I follow the safe
title guides in Motion (where I'm creating the lower thirds), will it look OK on the big screen? In the past, when I have had to make
a master for both the Internet and TV, I would have to make two versions, because when I followed the safe guides, there was too much
space around the titles on the Internet because it uses the entire frame. I really don't want to have to create two versions. Any advice?

Thanks

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: How to create master for theatres
September 13, 2012 12:19PM
Call the theater tech.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 13, 2012 12:25PM
Master for the Theater is usually a Digital Cinema File or a 16 / 35mm print. If you're showing it at select theaters, you'll need to contact the theaters to find out what they accept and the specs for each.

For broadcast and theater screenings ALWAYS use Title Safe. For the web, yes there is extra space, but we never make a special version just for the internet. What goes online is the same as what we send out to broadcast and film.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 13, 2012 12:30PM
Thanks for the title safe info.

How do I create a Digital Cinema File? Is that an export option in FC7? or do I need to take the exported file somewhere to have it created? We don't work with film in this studio.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
September 13, 2012 05:28PM
Some useful info here: [nofilmschool.com]
September 14, 2012 11:46PM
Some theaters accept tapes and QuickTime masters too. It's best to check.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 15, 2012 08:01AM
To create a digital cinema file you can use the free openDCP.
The lower thirds (as said above) always should match the title save area.
If they are not burnt in you can use one of the available tools to convert the titles from FCP XML to STL(DVD), SRT(Web) and DCP-XML(DCP). This won't make the lower thirds the same for every version, but it guarantees they work with every distribution.

-Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
September 16, 2012 09:22AM
See if the theater supports BluRay-to-e-projector; the one theater master for an hour long doc I've done recently I mastered HD to BluRay and the screening went off like magic. Didn't even bother with 5.1 audio. Used Toast to crunch the BluRay H264; had bumps in FCP Share and Compressor.

Took roughly three times longer than a DVD.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics