Broadcast: What is needed?

Posted by sgscott 
Broadcast: What is needed?
September 21, 2012 03:34PM
This is a query for broadcast expertise. I was thinking there must be some broadcast people in this group.

We are trying to figure out what type of equipment is necessary to do a daily broadcast quality, 30 min show that will be presented to broadcasters.

We have been doing a daily, 30 min, streaming podcast for 2 years now, with a NewTek Tricaster 300; but the quality of the show has not been professional, and there seems to be some question about the limitations of the TriCaster (entry level equip.). Here is our site:
On The Box, Live and Archived

If this is making sense to anyone, please respond. It will be greatly appreciated.

I have not been involved to this point, so my familiarity with this is very low. I have been asked to make enquiries and so I thought of you folks first, this forum has always been a great resource.

Thank you in advance, Scotty
Re: Broadcast: What is needed?
September 23, 2012 12:52AM
My 2 cents: Since your experience with Broadcast TV is naught, I recommend hiring a Professional Broadcast Consultant that can walk you through the necessary steps and guide you as needed. I would also contact target "Broadcasters" and ask them for spec sheets on what tyoe of format / files / tapes they accept.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 24, 2012 11:55AM
Thanks so much for the 2¢. I appreciate it.

I'll be looking, but do you know of any broadcast consultants I could contact?
I didn't know there was such a thing.
September 24, 2012 11:36PM
Contact Broadcasters in your market area and ask for consultancy rates.

September 25, 2012 10:12AM
Thanks. Will do.
September 26, 2012 10:23AM
...you may get lucky and they will simply give you all specs / formats / procedures gratis. Broadcasters today really do want you to hand them the correct assets (they are too busy for revisions). Ah, I remember the good old days like it were yesterday... when an Engineer would throw a tape back in my face because the colors were just outside scope standards or the whites were slightly above 100 or the text was touching the titlesafe marker. I learned the hard way to ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS UP FRONT and spare myself the embarrassment of a snickering Engineer (not that all Engineers are "snickering Engineers" eye rolling smiley)

September 26, 2012 10:56AM
That's encouraging...!

So the text touching the title safe is an issue? I'd never thought of that one!

I do have some specs from two of the broadcasters, and I see what you mean.

So we want to deliver the right format. Does that also count for review? Do you have any insight to pitching it?
September 26, 2012 12:44PM
Some Engineers are hard cases because THEY CAN (I got an HDCAM tape back once from Showtime because the titles were not INSIDE 4:3 centercut titlesafe). Others are super-cool and will help you if you ask them. Don't expect help...but being nice and asking politely goes a long way. Most folks are grateful to have a job these days. ALWAYS BE GRATEFUL! I cannot stress this enough.

Same for the review...ask them what their preference is. This shows that you will do whatever it takes to please them. They may want a tape or they may just want an online H264...but either way, make it look GOOD (not overly compressed). Full size / 8 MBPS H264 is very clean.

September 26, 2012 01:49PM
Thanks Joey. Great advise.

The suggested file profile is very helpful too. A good rule of thumb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics